Pointless Trivia

And also: Joe Walsh is the name of both a has-been guitarist/vocalist and a has-been Republican congresscritter.

1 Like

Joe Walsh is a has been guitarist?

1 Like

Seems to me, given that his heyday with the Eagles was decades ago.

1 Like

His heyday wasn’t “Space Age Whiz Kids”?

1 Like

He’s not dead yet. His career is a lot more than the Eagles.

1 Like

Your physical senses are your user interface with the outside world. How you process and react to that input is your operating system.
Debug!

9 Likes

Six is (probably) the only number whose factors not only add up to it (1+2+3) but also multiply to it (1x2x3). This makes six the most perfect number.

4 Likes

To be pedantic, its proper factors…but I can confirm. If they multiply to give the number it has to be the product of two primes, so other combinations of them don’t make extra proper factors. If we call those a, b, then you have

1 + a + b = (1)(a)(b)
b = (a+1)/(a-1)

b is a positive integer, so a+1 is a multiple of a-1, which means a = 2 or a = 3. Both mean the original number was 6. But then it’s not like perfect numbers are terribly common to begin with – there are only about fifty known – and there are only a few cases of sums equal to products (unless you repeat ones).

4 Likes

Penanggalan are never male.

5 Likes

Squirrel facts!

1. Squirrels can rotate their ankles 180 degrees allowing them to run down trees nose-first.

2. My dog is exactly the same speed as a squirrel.

12 Likes

2 Likes

Oh hey, that explains why the legs look weird in this photo I took a few years ago. This bit of trivia must therefore be disqualified from the thread, because it is not pointless!

6 Likes

You are analogue software running on thick custard in a bowl made of bone controlling an organic machine capable of self propulsion and replication and travelling to the stars.

5 Likes

I think I’m missing some of my punch cards. :wink:

4 Likes

Probably just need a reshuffle.

3 Likes

For two days in 1936, the British Empire had two different kings, thanks to the abdication crisis and different dominions’ ways of handling it.

• 9 December: Edward VIII is king throughout the Empire.

• 10 December: his abdication takes effect in South Africa only. George VI becomes king in SA: Edward VIII remains king in the rest of the Empire.

• 11 December: abdication takes effect in the rest of the Empire, except the Irish Free State. Edward VIII remains king in Ireland (except for the Six Counties): George VI is king elsewhere.

• 12 December: abdication takes effect in the Irish Free State. George VI is king throughout the Empire.

The South African one is a bit of a cheat, as it was done retrospectively (but hey, even more pointlessly trivial).

The Irish one was definitely de Valera fucking with the Brits, though.

10 Likes
1 Like

Whatever happened to Charlie Sheen?

5 Likes

He won.

4 Likes

The etymology of the word “dog” is a mystery: it shows up in Old English as docga, apparently out of nowhere. It has no known cognate in any other language, except for Scots “dug” (which comes from the same Old English word) and those languages that have borrowed the word directly from English, usually to refer to one or more breeds of mastiff.

9 Likes