Polar bears are eager to know what a camera drone tastes like

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/12/polar-bears-are-eager-to-know.html

1 Like

Polar bears only bother with seagulls if they are desperate. Best of luck to these guys.

10 Likes

I’m gonna go with crunchy?

9 Likes

So, polar bears are insane, according to (apocryphally attributed) Einstein’s definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Also, (concern trolling alert) given that there seems to be a cub in tow, and clearly food is being hunted, isn’t it a bit shitty to just keep on tricking the bear, wasting its limited energy reserves and the time it could spend on looking for real food. After the first couple of times I think the operator was just trolling the bear and should have moved to a greater distance so the bear would lose interest.

14 Likes

What does a drone taste of? I’m guessing “chicken”.

A far better use of the drone pilots time might be to ferry food to the starving beasts.

2 Likes

We’re gonna need a bigger drone!

4 Likes

Maybe we could send Donald on a fact finding mission. Give Polar Bears a taste for pork-barrel fattened swamp dwellers.

7 Likes

An even BIGGER drone? (Presumably he’d be sent by Drone Force One?)

2 Likes

The Presidential Delivery Service :smiley:

1 Like

The drone operator could have also, i don’t know, left them the fuck alone :frowning: ?

10 Likes

A great video would be some empty Arctic Landscape with an arrow pointing off screen marked “Polar Bears”. :smiley:

1 Like

Drone pilot NEEDS to be given to the bear.
Gimme his name and I’ll do it

2 Likes

granted, i know nothing about polar bear thought processes, but i was taking it more as coming from curiosity rather than hunger. “wtf is this loud thing flying overhead? i’m gonna see if i can catch it.”

also, i’ve always had a problem with that whole “einstein’s definition of insanity” line – it’s super pat, yes, but isn’t it also, you know, science? doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? (well, maybe “expecting” is the lynchpin word here. science doesn’t expect a different result, but it tests for them. maybe this is a polar bear scientist!)

2 Likes

Or maybe they are just fed up with the noise that the drone makes, which was edited out of the video so that we can’t hear how incredibly annoying and stressfull this drone must be to them.

2 Likes

Yeah, fly them a tuna.

1 Like

It seems there is potential here to train polar bears to break paths through sea ice.

Come on, those critters are obviously playing and they just want to see what the strange buzzing thing is. If they were so desperate for food they’re trying to eat a drone, they wouldn’t be wasting energy roughhousing with each other.
And if the bears really are feeling malnourished and they really are hoping the drone is something to eat, the worthless ^#@%!@#%! piloting that thing should be horsewhipped and then thrown to the bears.

3 Likes

I think you’ve found an actual use for Amazon drone delivery technology. As a positive side-effect, “relocating” problem sea lions…

4 Likes

I came dangerously close to doing a “problem sea lion” impersonation while laughing at your comment.

2 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.