Police arrest entire Bakersfield, CA chapter of the Hells Angels

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/26/police-arrest-entire-bakersfield-ca-chapter-of-the-hells-angels.html

3 Likes

I just double checked the article and it was indeed only 7 total arrests, which seems a bit on the low side to me. How big is a typical Biker Gang chapter? Bakersfield has a population of over 400,000 people so I was expecting the chapter to be a bit larger. Maybe they got pushed out by rivals like the Hell’s Satans?
c4024abf-be40-4c25-a206-af82994be28e_text

24 Likes

Gig economy. Those 7 are the gang, but the others are all technically independent contractors.

50 Likes

The random Duluth, MN connection! LOL

8 Likes

Get them off Bikr?

20 Likes

If Sons of Anarchy is any indication then a bunch of the main characters killed each other off by the final season.

16 Likes

I could never figure out what Charlie Hunnam was going for with his American accent.

10 Likes

“swipe right for mayhem!”

that looks like a t-shirt quilt, made of several tees sewn together and has a border around it.
the poster on the table is for a HA poker run. my printshop in Phoenix used to do under-the-table jobs for this type of privately distributed promo piece for the HA local. in the lower right corner of that quilt is the memorial tee for the late Sonny Barcher, who was still very much involved in the Arizona chapter (hell, he started the whole damn thing).
“that’s all I have to say about that…”

17 Likes

Hell’s Grannies?

20 Likes

The police photos do seem staged in a very “check out all the sweet collectibles we just scored!” kind of way.

28 Likes

most in that AZ group were, indeed, elderly. the, ahem, gentleman i worked with to produce the various print runs we did for them was particularly close to Barcher. they were both on in years and my liason was morbidly obese, and as it turned out, not long for the world. he topped himself shortly after Barcher died.

13 Likes

…resulted in the seizure of an impressive arsenal: 25 firearms, ammunition, high-capacity magazines, and gang paraphernalia.

An “impressive arsenal?”

16 Likes

PD doesn’t like competition.

13 Likes

It is common for chapters to have some members in prison. Still, 7 seems low.

8 Likes

Seven biker gang suspects arrested and only 25 firearms? An average of 3.6 each? I would agree that would not constitute an “impressive arsenal” in certain southern states, either in rural or urban areas.

15 Likes

Yeah, per the police press statement one of that 7 was already in custody on other charges at the time that the remainder were arrested.

8 Likes

That was my thought. Hell, around here that would be an “alright” arsenal for most of the farmers. As individuals. For a group with their reputation, that’s pretty lame.

7 Likes

I’d hate to be a Harley salesman these days.

10 Likes

PREVIOUSLY ON BOING BOING

10 Likes

They’re a bit like Gibson guitars (except they make actually good guitars that I like the sound of). They seem to struggle to attract younger people.

But rather than the ageing gangs or bands I think I’d blame the wealthy middle aged fetishists who buy their stuff. I learnt to hate Harley Davidson when I lived right in the centre of Dublin a “gang” of middle aged, wealthy (these things are stoopid expensive) would congregate on Sunday mornings to annoy the residents with revving their expensive cock substitutes. I don’t think it was a great look for young people to aspire to. It’s not cool.

Similarly Gibson guitars are associated with the yout with “boomer bends” style of guitar playing. Think pulling stupid guitar solo faces while yowling on one bent note.

Unfortunately their wealthy collector fans ensure I can’t get a nice one to play for cheap!

15 Likes