Police lawyer threatens reporter: don't report smirking cop's corpse selfie

I have often been disappointed in my lack of inclusion on the list, but I think my vast yearning to be included on it is exactly what keeps me off it.

Catch 22.

5 Likes

I needed this term. It hits me at odd moments, most uselessly in movies, when, for instance, I realize that in life, some extra shown in a car chase would be facing months or years of pain. That feeling’s better saved for nonfictional lives.

7 Likes

a brief review of your comment history shines, IMO, a less than flattering light on what maturity and a healthy sense of self might mean to you.

To me, maturity is leaving a party when I don’t like the music, and not attempting to shame the DJ into doing their thing my way. I might mention it to the DJ, but my healthy sense of self means I always remember that my disappointment plus 99 cents can get me a 99 cent cup of coffee.

10 Likes

Grasshopper.

4 Likes

To me this is a felony. To you, hot air?

So do felony convictions.

To compare this to what a frustrated teacher might say about a kid is a level of GIVING THE FUCK UP that ain’t okay, and a degree of victim blaming that i find craven and horrid. It’s cheerleading violent anarchic thuggery. It is enabling. Own that.

#deplorable

15 Likes

There are no non-player characters (NPCs); everyone you meet is someone’s PC.

13 Likes

Totally disgusting, but no matter how well trained you are, taking a life is traumatic and I am willing to cut the officer a bit of slack for wanting to avoid that dark place for a little while. We still have to shun this behavior, but we don’t have to dehumanize the cop as a deplorable.

How would you feel if the victim had been a member of your family?

16 Likes

deplorable is comparing this to a teacker talking about a student when the student (still alive) isn’t around to defend themselves.

This officer literally turned a person into an object. LITERALLY DEHUMANIZED HIM. Literally took the human out of the meat-sack

And then took a selfie with the meat-sack.

That’s not blowing off steam. That’s ‘losing touch with humanity’. That’s criminal, actionable, and definitely at least a great reason to be stripped of official duties.

I’m sticking with deplorable, and disgusting, and indefensible. And Fuck Anyone who has more compassion for the officer than the victim. that’s not just #deplorable it’s gross and mean. It’s not cutting slack, it’s just another cutting offhand remark. It’s comparable to pissing on the grave of the dead man. It’s apologism at it’s most base.

I imagine you laughing now, having got a reaction. I won’t hold you responsible for what I imagine about you.

8 Likes

How…disappointing. Wait, is that too much? I never know. This is why I find myself disappointing so many friends.

4 Likes

Well, that’s a mature and healthy response.

I think it’s time for your nap.

2 Likes

“We don’t know what happened before the picture was taken.” Isn’t that the usual bs they try and feed us?

2 Likes

you come across as a bit thin-skinned, maybe even a bit of a bully.

3 Likes

The action of the police office disturbs me. This behavior is unprofessional and disrespectful. This is a mistake. There must be followup and correction.

But, the response of NCPC Chief Tim Swope and Attorney Lynette Petruska is much more revolting. I am terrified for our future when the response of our public servants and their representatives is to threaten, distract, and divert instead of admit and correct. This kind of response guarantees that problems will not move to quick resolution. Instead, problems will breed and escalate.

The future options become dark and limited. The next best move is that the highest levels of city government remove Chief Swope’s management responsibilities, terminate the city’s arrangement with Pleban & Petruska Law, then issue a formal apology to the family of the deceased and Lauren Trager.

Half measures will foster increased police misbehavior, distrust of the police, disrespect for law, and arrogance in city management.

13 Likes

You have a list? really?

That is so dismaying, displeasing, discouraging, disheartening, depressing, disconcerting, and distasteful.

:innocent:

7 Likes

But it’s a good list, Branch.

2 Likes

I have a list of people who keep lists…

5 Likes
7 Likes

Wow is that 16pt font. This has you riled sir/madam.

What I was getting at was that this behavior is hardly shocking, the issue is that it was recorded and released into circulation so that we can all nitpick it and say how horrid it is. Same would go for a teacher talking about how the kids they teach would be better off with a ball peen hammer to their anterior fontanel. Such a statement recorded and released to the public would cause a total shit show of rage from the media and pubic alike.

Is this response justified? Probably, but it is going to become more common, as omnipresent devices become common facets of everyday life. In the end we may have to grow thicker skin against moral outrage because everything everyone says and does will be suspect for display/dissection by the Legion Public.

P.S. what level of GIVING THE FUCK UP is ok? I’m asking for a friend. But really all love fellow BBer.

Implorable

2 Likes

I’ve handled a few corpses in my day, so I’m not going to be shocked that such antics occur. I suppose its more of a “How could you be so stupid” deal. I can reason a momentary laps of common sense and poor taste, but why in the world you would save such an action in digital form is truly the question.

So I guess I’d have to ask the cop what part of this particular picture he wanted saved for posterity.