Police lawyer threatens reporter: don't report smirking cop's corpse selfie

#YOU ARE WRONG

I maintained the BANNED list.

Nobody else ever updated it, and I got tired of doing it myself.

Anybody want the keys?

6 Likes

but who is responsible enough as guardian of the keys?

1 Like

I worked a nightshift for two and a half years. About half way through, driving into work, I had nearly the opposite of a “Sonder moment” happen to me.

Up until then I had felt connected to people and normal. But all at once, suddenly it felt like my connection to humanity had… Snapped. Suddenly it seemed that every human thing we do felt weird and almost foreign. Pointless. Like humanity suddenly wasn’t exactly “real and necessary”. It wasn’t even misanthropy. It was a shift in perspective. Kind of like how humans feel when we observe monkeys or fish. Not a dislike. Just a sudden detachment.

I’ve been seeing a counselor about it ever since, and I’ve been recovering. But I think the isolation of existing every night in an empty building, taking calls from people hundreds to thousands of miles away to solve problems that really just don’t fucking matter, did a number on me.

I now spend a lot of conscious effort on relating to people and I try hard to stay human. I know that if I go full-hermit then there’s not much chance for happiness in my future.

12 Likes
1 Like

Imgur modified that scene to be more universally relevant:

2 Likes

Glenn Greenwald and Shaun King agree with you.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/794987332596363265

7 Likes

It’s the BB Catch 22. If you want to make the list, then you will be happy, not disappointed, when you do make it, therefore you do not deserve to make the list.

8 Likes

I know a lot of those people too but they would never take a photo

10 Likes

My like is for the second half of your post:

The first half was well covered, I believe, by @roomwithaview’s response right below yours.

5 Likes

2 Likes

There is a big difference between black humor and taking a picture giving a thumbs up (probably taken on a digital camera) that can end up online.

I come from a family that handles death by making jokes, so I understand that. But that’s family and it’s how we grieve. This isn’t that. It’s public and posing with someone who has been murdered.

11 Likes

Kudos for referencing The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows, but you probably should have linked it.

2 Likes

Not a Murder an Over Dose. (Though I guess that could be the dealers fault, or it could be like suicide, but probably accidental death is best fit)

But I get your point and agree. The action isn’t so much the problem as the public nature of the posing and photo.

No, I’d still argue that the action is problematic, honestly. I don’t think one has to be utterly solemn around the dead, but at least not be a dick.

7 Likes

I believe the word for that is “depression”.

6 Likes

Can we take people back off the list?

1 Like

Tech support in general really does not help with one faith in fellow humans.

8 Likes

Mine too, but not deaths we caused or failed to prevent.

5 Likes
"To relate oneself expectantly to the possibility of the good
 is to hope. To relate oneself expectantly to the possibility of
 evil is to fear. By the decision to choose hope one decides
 infinitely more than it seems, because it is an eternal 
 decision."
4 Likes

Huh? It is?

(Better not let that slip to big pharma, lol!)