Police locate stolen taco truck, find thief inside chowing down

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/17/police-locate-stolen-taco-truck-find-thief-inside-chowing-down.html

4 Likes

“Officer, these tacos were just sitting here in a truck on the side of the street… I called finders-keepers.”
That’s the answer.

5 Likes

Taco Grande Theft Auto.

13 Likes

The fuzz were surprised to find the thief in the back of the truck,

heh, haven’t heard the cops called “the fuzz” since reagan was in office

The Straightdope Investigates

There are several theories about the origin of “fuzz”:

• American Tramp and Underworld Slang, published in 1931, suggests that “fuzz” was derived from “fuss,” meaning that the cops were “fussy” over trifles.
  • A mispronunciation or mishearing of the warning “Feds!” (Federal agents). This seems unlikely.
  • Etymologist Eric Partridge wonders if “fuzz” might have come from the beards of early police officers. This also seems improbable.

Evan Morris suggests the word “arose as a term of contempt for police based on the use of ‘fuzz’ or ‘fuzzy’ in other items of derogatory criminal slang of the period. To be ‘fuzzy’ was to be unmanly, incompetent and soft. How better to insult the police, after all, than to mock them as ineffectual?” That explanation seems as good as any, and better than most.

3 Likes

Dang “Hot Fuzz” came out when Reagan was alive?
Pretty popular film, rather liked it…really remember it well. But now I gotta see a doc about some concussions.

2 Likes

Being fussy over people out of place is their job.

3 Likes

Yesterday in Oakland, California, police arrested a woman, age 51, for allegedly stealing a taco truck. She had driven the truck clear across town…

According to the San Pablo Police

That’s a little more than “clear across town”. Oakland and San Pablo are different cities, separated by five other cities (Emeryville, Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito, and Richmond).

5 Likes

I wonder if it’s related to the police scanner and its fuzzy sound. Like a guitar fuzz pedal.

2 Likes

Grand Theft Taco.

3 Likes

Now see, if she’d had the stove fired up, ready to serve them tacos, then this probably would have ended better for her.

1 Like

The not-so-great Taco Heist of '24; not even on a Tuesday!

5 Likes

right?!
i mean, at least in a GTA side mission, you would be cooking and selling tacos to build up $$$ before the ☆☆☆’s add up!
like stealing a taxi and picking up fares.

1 Like

Fares? Fares?!?! Ain’t nobody got time for fares.

You take the taxi from heist to heist, and you make sure that you have enough trunk-space for all the loot.

and then you go get tacos

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.