Police officer attacks and kills bystander performing CPR on victim at Walmart shooting

Originally published at: Police officer attacks and kills bystander performing CPR on victim at Walmart shooting | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Does qualified immunity apply if (a) you’re off duty, (b) you’re out of uniform, and (c) don’t identify yourself as a cop? Because I bet you his lawyer is going to argue that it does.

25 Likes

Add “performing CPR” to the list of things that scare cops.

27 Likes

And, I couldn’t tell from the story, but if the person he was performing CPR on also died, that might be grounds for a double homicide or manslaughter charge.
ACAB.

20 Likes

giphy

13 Likes

This is an example of the “cop mentality” that needs to go if we’re ever going to get actual police reform.

Cops act like they’re Judge Dredd, not custodians of public safety.

21 Likes

Look for the helpers. Then kill them.

10 Likes

I realize that ‘qualified immunity’ has gained considerable flexibility thanks to being unfettered from legal foundation; but I’d hope that there’s no serious argument to be made that the perp here was making a ‘reasonable but mistaken judgement’ about an ‘open legal question’ in the course of executing someone.

I’m not expecting my hopes to be realized; but still.

2 Likes

I first saw this story on Twitter, and I was horrified at the number of “why should the officer be arrested for a tragic accident?” responses by blue-backing bootlickers. Killing a man by shoving him to the pavement is not an accident. It’s battery that resulted in manslaughter.

14 Likes

Though it is important to consider that qualified immunity only applies to civil proceedings, not criminal ones.

Cops are protected from criminal prosecution by pure corruption, not even vague and non-statutory legal concepts like QI.

12 Likes

Yeah, I noticed there was no mention of the cop trying to help the guy he just assaulted, it was the poor mans fiance performing the cpr on him.

6 Likes

Seems like ACAB.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.