Police officer who breastfed a malnourished baby at hospital hailed a hero

Wait, what? Inflation in Argentina is pretty bad, and it results in working people not being able to afford food and other basics. That’s not a right-wing concern, that’s a concern for people who need to worry about how to put food on the table.

And unemployment is a stereotypical right-wing complaint?

6 Likes

FTA:

Celeste Jaqueline Ayala was working her shift at Sor Maria Ludovica Hospital in Buenos Aires when she heard a baby crying incessantly. Ayala, who is the mother of a newborn baby, asked hospital staff if she could hold and comfort the crying baby.

That description doesn’t make it sound like the baby was being left to starve by the hospital staff. It sounds more like the hospital didn’t have enough people on staff to provide the baby with the near-constant one-on-one contact that infants crave.

8 Likes

Right. So if I see a BoingBoing post to one of those inane police “lip-sync battle” videos and it was from some city with violence issues, it would be offtopic for us to start talking about systemic racism and violence.

No talking about bad things! Only happy things. Unless it’s the bad things we want to talk about.

We have someone from Argentina bringing up their issues with this, and here we are…I don’t know, mansplaining, whitesplaining, 'Muricasplaining to them that they’re wrong to bring it up?

I don’t get that one, either. EDIT: Smulder added some context of the Miracle of Chile, which sounds remarkably like what Trump and his followers have done. “Look at this, unemployment was horrible until January 2017 and then everything was great again! Thanks, Trump!” And…eh…okay…but their unemployment rate really is high. Not nearly as high as it was 20+ years ago, but it’s still on the high side.

It’s what they always complain about when they’re out of power and what they always brag about when they’re in charge, as if nothing else matters.

Miracle of Chile - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Also, why was her first thought to just start feeding a stranger’s baby rather than alert a doctor or nurse.

I’m not entirely sure that’s an argument that unemployment and inflation are stereotypical right-wing complaints as much as an argument that unemployment and inflation are huge economic issues that can affect any country dramatically and leaders are quick to complain about and/or take credit for fixing. You could find examples of Hugo Chavez talking about unemployment and introducing grand plans for reducing it, for example.

But I do think it’s important to recognize the distinction between the natural (and healthy) inflation that occurs in developed economies and the kind of runaway inflation that causes chaos and misery for working people.

I’m starting to think no one actually read the article at all.

TL;DR: She did consult with hospital staff first. This wasn’t a case of some crazed vigilante who just burst into the room teats-a-blazin’.

12 Likes

Welcome to the Internet, guys. :wink:

7 Likes

There’s an article?!
Seriously though…She asked to “hold and comfort the crying baby”. Then she just starts breastfeeding. But why didn’t she just have the nurse or doctor take care of the “malnourished baby”?

Just because you have the option to do something, it doesn’t mean that you should.

2 Likes

Ain’t a dry eye in the house.

2 Likes

You think she was the only one who heard the baby crying? Because that’s not how crying babies work.

Comforting a baby doesn’t require specialized medical training. However, it does require more time than many busy doctors and nurses are likely to have during their shift. The officer had an opportunity to exhibit some basic human kindness and she took it.

7 Likes

I’m of the opinion that if more people felt like having the option to be kind and generous to someone in need meant that they should do so, the world would be a better place.

But what is the real complaint here? Who do you believe was wronged or hurt in some way?

3 Likes

It occurs to me, as a woman who has breastfed, that sometimes ANY baby crying can be enough to start the pumps a-flowing. Having your milk let down is not voluntary, maybe she figured it was better not to waste it.

I find myself concerned that the mother of a “newborn” was back at work already, although I don’t know whether that was voluntary.

20 Likes

Agreed, but if the option is to comfort a distressed, hungry child trapped in an institution, you should.

Because otherwise aren’t you a sad excuse for a mammal, much less a human being?

9 Likes

Not disagreeing with what you say, but the risk of transmitting HIV through breastmilk is small, even if the nurse is HIV positive. Of course, the risk increases the more you do it, and one breastfeeding session won’t cure an infant’s malnutrition.

And yes, milk banks are a thing, people shouldn’t be breastfeeding random babies, particularly without the permission of the legal guardian (presumably the hospital in this case).

2 Likes

Oh joy - a story about breastfeeding, a police officer, and a foreign country; there’s no way this thread could possibly go awry!

21 Likes

Once I read a story about a baby getting breastfed by a stranger in a uniform.
I had an opinion about it.
The internet explained to me that my opinion was wrong and that I was a sad excuse for a human being.

Thanks guys!

2 Likes

A) Boing boing is not the entirety of the internet. I’m sure there are many forums where you can find only emphatic agreement with your POV.

B) No one said nor even implied either claim, but thank you for volunteering to be the projectionist for today’s entertainment!

5 Likes

Now that we’ve argued about why my opinion is invalid, let’s argue about the arguments!