Flight attendant: "I breastfed a stranger's baby inflight"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/09/flight-attendant-i-breastfe.html

5 Likes

Lovely. That’s the kind of airline staff we need more of!

15 Likes

The mother was definitely lucky that the flight attendant was able to breastfeed her child. I wonder how long the flight was, also i can’t imagine an airplane would ever stock baby formula but might be interesting to see one stock it on request if a parent with a baby would be flying. It could avoid a child going hungry, and i know airport security can be really weird about mothers going through security with baby formula or bottled breast milk sometimes.

13 Likes

A very good human.

16 Likes

Humans doing good human stuff for other humans.

(In before some concern troll starts ranting about how she might have given the baby AIDS.)

22 Likes

We cannot have nice things. You KNOW we can’t. We couldn’t even have a thread about Texas kids doing BBQ without some negative take away being pointed out.

So…it’s coming in this thread. It’s coming.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Used to be a standard profession. Something I thought about a lot more than I had in the past when we tried and essentially failed at breast-feeding.

In this day and age, of course, we had nipple bottles and could pump, so we were able to feed our child breast milk through the critical initial period, and could fall back on lactose-based formula after, but without that (and we definitely wouldn’t have been in the “just hire a wetnurse” class) our child would, at best, have been significantly undernourished during their first year.

7 Likes

Not Lurch . . . Itt!
Image result for cousin itt

3 Likes

I came in here for the comment:

Now that’s the milk of human kindness!

but was disappoint… happy to pinch hit

11 Likes

Better than anything I came up with.

Possible joke topics for others - TSA and 3.4 oz of liquid restriction or the price of drinks from the premium beverage menu.

5 Likes

Phillipine Airlines, huh? I would have thought Southwest for sure.

3 Likes

Some people make a point of never being satisfied, let alone happy about anything.

“Don’t let nobody steal your joy.”

8 Likes

It’s been a tough week for that.

2 Likes

It has, but consider all the silver linings, and how much worse it could have been.

I refuse to be demoralized or worn down by energy leeches.

When I pledged (a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away) they made us memorize Invictus, and then recite it whenever we encountered any unforeseen obstacle or unfair hardship.

Since then, I have internalized the message or perseverance no matter what, because ‘laying down and just rotting’ is simply NOT an option…

"Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul."

9 Likes

A friend of mine and I had our kids basically simultaneously and would baby sit for each other and just feed each other’s kids when need be. A thing you might not know if you haven’t done it is nursing someone else’s kid feels really strange! Each kid goes about nursing somewhat differently, and you really notice.

13 Likes

I was sitting two rows behind the mother. When I realized what happened, I decided to take my chances and started crying also.

I only got a bag of peanuts…

10 Likes

What a wonderful, kind person!

1 Like

For the most natural thing in the world, breastfeeding is tough. My ex had a hell of a time with our first. They were twins which made everything insane, but they would take forever to latch, then the boy would unlatch when the girl finally did. She developed mastitis 4 times (!!!) with fever, chills, antibiotics, the whole 9 and something else breastfeeding related that is far too heinous to post here. I’m sorry you had such a rough go of it, too. You’re not the only one, unfortunately.

8 Likes

Nipple shields, breastfeeding consultants, two surgeries (minor: connective tissue under the tongue and upper lip were both a bit overdeveloped), physical therapy and chiropractic (torticollis) – just wouldn’t latch well ever.

Other people we know are simultaneously feeding a two-year-old and a newborn, or donated milk by the gallon.

Only twice, I think, but damn is that intense.

Fascinating to me that experiences are so different, especially since 100 years ago my wife probably would have died of infection or blood loss after childbirth. Which would have been moot since both of us were breach, and probably wouldn’t have survived anyway…

4 Likes