Police remove "close to a million" N95 masks from Brooklyn house

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/03/police-remove-close-to-a-mil.html

10 Likes

Not close to a million N95 masks; it is close to a million of various medical supplies: “Roughly 192,000 N95 respirator masks, nearly 600,000 medical gloves, 130,000 surgical masks, procedure masks, N100 masks, surgical gowns, disinfectant towels, particulate filters, bottles of hand sanitizer and disinfectant spray.

32 Likes

So… No doubt he’s an asshole. Also, he’s stupid to go down for 18 U.S. Code § 1001 (when talking to the feds, the only winning move is not to play).

While I’m happy about the outcome, it does leave me curious about the legal theory behind seizing his property and giving it away.

11 Likes

It is called commandeering
It not only acceptable but necessary in these cases barbecue the public good is more important than private wealth.

24 Likes

OMG! His property rights were violated! Communism! Help us, Ayn Rand, you’re our only hope.

Seriously, I’m sure there are ample wartime precedents.

37 Likes

And to think that all this media coverage would have been for a Brooklyn based meth lab (all likely still hard at work) less than a year ago still leaves me flummoxed.
So much can be done if we mobilize. I hope all this “action potential” can be redirected to the injustices happening every day around the world. But that’s just my slacktivists opinion.

4 Likes

If there’s anything this administration’s done, it’s barbecue the public good

57 Likes

“allegedly” hoarding? with that amount of stuff, i think we can safely just say yep, he was hoarding.

18 Likes

They actually should do like in Japan. If you’re caught selling contraband medical supplies during a pandemia, you go straight to jail. No trial, no nothing.

8 Likes

Or, as he claims, running a longtime but suddenly very profitable medical supplies company.

Doesn’t mean it is, doesn’t mean the stuff shouldn’t be comandeered, doesn’t mean he isn’t a criminal, doesn’t mean he isn’t a profiteering asshole, just means that (fireworks burst, trumpets sound out, dancers spin) day 1 cop press releases are not to be trusted.

38 Likes

NYC has everything - from the most giving, helpful and kind people in the country to the most self centered, narcissistic asshholes in the country. An amazing place - but you have to be careful.

7 Likes

ahhhhhh, medical supply company. it’s a good line of defense, for sure.

3 Likes

Meanwhile, states and private entities are paying fifteen times the going rate for PPE because of competitive bidding. Didn’t we JUST try to arrest a guy in Kentucky it Tennessee because he was gouging with a merely 700% markup?

6 Likes

Move over Florida Man, here comes Brooklyn Man.

11 Likes

I feel like if he obtained them legally the government should pay him fair market value. Fair market value from the time he bought them, not the inflated costs now.

7 Likes

I picked up on that too and I’m sure it was a typo, But I loved it! I’m a huge fan now. Barbecue the public good! That’s Drumpf’s campaign slogan

9 Likes

Government can pay him ZILCH and FINE him for harm caused to New York. Turn his house into an overflow Ward and put him to work disinfecting the Javitz center. Fuck that guy!!!

8 Likes

Maybe not barbeque the public good? (:wink:) Othwise absolutely true, although our current (and pretty much all our past) governments would disagree vociferously.

10 Likes

Source? I’ve lived, worked, and studied Japan my whole adult life. I’ve never heard of this.

2 Likes

Char-broiled even

5 Likes