Police remove "close to a million" N95 masks from Brooklyn house

I think a fair trial is never a bad thing. Everyone deserves their case to be heard.

11 Likes

Heck, it doesn’t have to be wartime. How much land has been taken from ranchers down south to build the border wall?

/s Which I’m sure was a good use of taxpayer dollars to prevent a national disaster.

6 Likes

Imagine going to jail and when people ask what you’re in for you have to say “I coughed on an FBI agent”

6 Likes

Soylent Green
NEW Flavor! Grilled!

3 Likes

Wow. So private property rights are not unlimited. About time!

1 Like

When FBI agents confronted Feldheim on Sunday about the sales, he allegedly coughed in their direction and told them he had coronavirus.

Wow, he seems like a real peach of a guy on a lot of levels.

4 Likes

“What were you arrested for, kid?”
And I said, “Littering.” And they all moved away from me on the bench there, and the hairy eyeball and all kinds of mean nasty things, till I said, “And creating a nuisance.” And they all came back, shook my hand, and we had a great time on the bench, talkin about crime, mother stabbing, father raping, all kinds of groovy things that we was talking about on the bench.

22 Likes

If there is a fair trial wouldn’t all that equipment have to be held as evidence until it is resolved?

They did / will, in fact, or so sayeth the article.

2 Likes

I wonder about this too. What actual law allows private property to be confiscated like this? And if we don’t have a law like that, shouldn’t we? Probably the pharma companies wouldn’t like that, since it might allow medicines to be seized as they come off the production line, instead of sold at 300% markup.

I am also happy about the outcome.

3 Likes

It’s a recent thing, due to COVID-19. Although the article i had read was that anyone reselling medical supplies that didn’t have a commercial license would be fined and/or jailed. This was to combat price gouging

6 Likes

“You can have anything you want / At Alice’s restaurant/ Exceptin’ Alice!”

7 Likes

The Defense Production Act “authorizes the president to requisition property” , and " allows the president to designate materials to be prohibited from hoarding or price gouging".

So after all is counted, catalogued and photographed, so that it can be used as evidence in a trial, it can go where it’s needed.

5 Likes

What Trump does every day

(Darn - @DonatellaNobody beat me to it)

5 Likes

Yep, nothing like good old Civil Asset Forfeiture, a system that has never been abused by any law enforcement or government agency to punish their detractors or manipulate into a personal profit making endeavor.

/s

2 Likes

You shouldn’t ever take what cops say at face value. Thus, allegedly.

2 Likes

It was for “personal use” :smiley:

2 Likes

Gladly. Y’all can have him!

2 Likes

The primary restriction against it is the Fifth Amendment:

nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

From my lay person reading under current Supreme Court precedent this basically allows any government to take property and use it or give it to another private entity as long as it could reasonably result in more public good than not taking it, but they still need to pay for what they take.

3 Likes

i actually assumed that the “allegedly” part was from a legal standpoint, not because it comes from the police. “innocent until proven guilty” and all that.

1 Like