State governors are taking to smuggling PPE to get around the feds

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/03/state-governors-are-taking-to.html

13 Likes

The US will be lucky if this pandemic is resolved to the point of people going back to work by the end of this year. If Americans had the desired ‘A’ team in the WH, this wouldn’t be anything other than a horror that would pass in 4-5 months; with the current ‘C’ and ‘D’ team (to use the term team very loosely) players, this will snowball until the citizenry and state governors give the finger to the Orange Wart and do what’s necessary regardless of federal directives and laws.

18 Likes

What was the air pressure on the plane?

3 Likes

Imagine being such a fuckup dipshit as President that you make Robert Fucking Kraft look good.

23 Likes

Despite it’s apparent lack of heroes, it’s still a pretty heroic tale.

11 Likes

One of the classic heroic tales is the ne’er-do-well who surprises everyone by saving the day.

14 Likes

Wait, so why would US customs seize these when imported? I thought they governors were supposed to source these where they could.

11 Likes

Because if they aren’t confiscated on entry, they’ll go to the buyers instead of being distributed by the Feds to the private firms entitled to distribute them to the States [1] at auction. The Magic of the Free Market, as you know, is much better at this kind of thing than the Government.

[1] With “handling fees” of course.

20 Likes

Can you link to how this is working? I haven’t heard about this particular process yet.

3 Likes

I wish I could. It’s not like a publicized thing. Lawyers, Guns, and Money mentioned it ISTR yesterday in a column on Kushner’s new unofficial role.

1 Like

Bruce Sterling be sitting there like, ‘fuuuuuuucccckkk’.

12 Likes

Interesting use of the term “privateer” in this article:

“…the Republican governor of a Blue State would turn to privateering in order to get around the iron grip of U.S. customs.”

As far as I can tell, the governor didn’t authorize the Patriots’ plane to engage in military actions against another government entity. But it is pretty insane.

9 Likes

It’s like worst ARGO remake ever, but I’d still watch it

11 Likes

I’d love to know how much skimming is going on between confiscation and redistribution.

7 Likes

I think this is what @lumbercartel is talking about:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/you-need-to-look-at-this

The US has established an airbridge of flights from abroad to bring in supplies of masks, gowns, all the supplies we’re hearing are in short supply. But in answer to a question from Weijia Jiang of CBS News, the Admiral in charge of this effort explained that those supplies mainly are not going to FEMA or the states. They’re going to private sector distributors.

There’s video (I can’t get it to work) of Rear Admiral Polowczyk explaining this in a press conference. According to Heather Cox Williams, his justification for going through the private sector was , “I’m not here to disrupt a [commercial] supply chain.”

ETA a relevant post from @RickMycroft

26 Likes

I’ve heard conservatives in MA complaining about Baker, he’s not conservative enough for them and he’s not progressive enough for the left. That’s always how it is here.

2 Likes

4 Likes

So they can be redirected to swing states like Florida, to help buy November’s election for Orange Anus.

20 Likes

Jesus Christ. This post is like a Masshole ouroboros.

1 Like

Please tell me you are joking. They seriously force States to outbid each other?
That’s so pathological that it’s hard to comprehend.

23 Likes