Police take man off a bus because his skin tone did not match his son's

Thanks!

I work with an independent foster care agency rather than DHS directly, so we have a pretty tight-knit community of foster families. I would say that about a quarter of our families have LGBT parent(s). Being a foster parent is great. :slight_smile: Surprisingly fun too - whenā€™s the last time you played laser tag?

Apropos of nothing, we just started taking two full-time kids on at a time, and our second kid arrives today! Iā€™ll leave to pick him in about 2 hours.

20 Likes

Itā€™s also harder to recognize people as albino in Canada. Pigment deficiency is a national sport.

6 Likes

Authoritarianism is for fascists.

And fear is for idiots.

Few times do you need to actually fear anything anymore.

1 Like

ā€¦because if the situation was going to escalate, much better to have that happen in the bus?

2 Likes

Now thereā€™s a fuckton of privilege on display.

Tell me again how fear is an idiotic irrelevancy after youā€™ve had your loved ones hospitalised by a hate crime.

9 Likes

Well, one person did, but it wasnā€™t a cop, which is a nice change.

11 Likes

My wife is Chinese, Iā€™m white and very pale. Itā€™s always been apparent that unless people have actually seen us together and weā€™re introduced as a couple that weā€™re considered an unlikely pairing. Itā€™s like people are blind to the possibility unless itā€™s pointed out. Or maybe itā€™s because sheā€™s better looking than me, rather than a failure of imagination?

7 Likes

I would be constantly on the phone.

2 Likes

Does anyone have numbers on this?

If a child has actually been reported missing, it makes sense to check anyone fitting the description. But has there ever been a case where someone called the police out of the blue to report someone who didnā€™t look quite right and it actually turned out to be someone kidnapping a child?

5 Likes

In the Toronto area, stopping a TTC bus? Probably the Toronto Police Service, possibly Peel, Durham or York Regional police, very unlikely OPP, extremely improbable RCMP. .

Yes. And Iā€™m not Torontonian. This is one of those cases where the pretensions of Torontonians lie pretty close to the truth. :wink:

3 Likes

Could be worse - she could be telling them to find a cop.

5 Likes

just a minute, what is your relationship to that GIF?

6 Likes

well I guess it is probably more likely men, but even so given the statistically insignificant amount of sexual predators in the population even just asking any man would not be likely to be a problem. Or maybe the kid could be told to find another mommy or daddy. Anyway, people are crazy, uneducated, and probably too stupid to know what albinism is in a large swathe of the functioning population.

4 Likes

So, the kid gets shot, the dad gets a ā€˜have a nice day, sir.ā€™

1 Like

Whoah, I never said you shouldnā€™t fear the establishment, I was speaking to general fears like ghosts and such.

1 Like

P.S. Wow, agenda much?

P.P.S. Yep. White privilege on display. What do you want, a plaque? Or equanimity? Iā€™m for equanimity among peoples.

Yes, but then the joke does not work, seeā€¦

1 Like

Perhaps some people missed a line or two:

If an officer canā€™t or wonā€™t behave professionally, reasonably, and respectably, that is good reason (probable cause?) to assume that they are not operating within the bounds of their authority. Maybe itā€™s different in Canada, but in the U.S., it would not be unreasonable to expect that youā€™re about to become a victim.

Anytime theyā€™re giving orders, the officer should be able to give some explanation, spoken calmly, (without needing to go into detail) to respectfully address the concerns of those being ordered around and avoid escalating to a confrontation.

This is of course the correct line-of-thought and response. Give the cop the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps heā€™s not malicious, just poorly-trained or distracted or having an off day.

Edit: The few times Iā€™ve been stopped or questioned by cops, they have been polite and respectful. Iā€™d like to think thatā€™s the norm and that the reports that make the news are exceptions.

3 Likes

Jokeā€™s on me. I was sure this would be an American story. When my daughter was with my sister and me, people often commented that they could sure tell whose daughter she was, because the two of them have the most spectacular red hair. I donā€™t. When my son was in high school, he often travelled to Mexico with his best friend and the kidā€™s father. We had to provide him with a notarized statement that we knew Mr. X and that he had our permission to travel with him.

If I were ever to make such a call, it would be due to the behaviour of the two, not the colour of their skin.

5 Likes

Iā€™d be shocked if women offended in the same numbers, but of course we donā€™t know for certain. The true numbers of sexual assault are certainly higher than what is reported.

Who knows? Maybe for whatever reason, women are far less likely to get caught for pedophilia?

Anecdotally, I know a few men who were sexually assaulted as adults by women. For a laundry list of reasons, the chances of them ever going to the police is basically 0.

3 Likes