Police want Waze to remove cop-spotting feature

#HUGS

1 Like

Why would cop-killers need a stalking tool?

Cops go to work at a police station, clearly marked as such.

They drive in cars with markings that say police and have bright, flashing lights.

Spotting a cop is not rocket science.

4 Likes

SHHHHHHHHH!

1 Like

Clearly that’s an issue we need to resolve, for the safety of these public servants. Maybe police should be in unmarked cars and should not wear uniforms identifying them as police officers. We could call them something like…secret police.

5 Likes

Not if they can help it. Around here, we have police cruisers with black markings on black paint and no-profile lights (the kind that are in the vehicle cabin instead of on top). You can’t read the logos unless you’re right up on them, and you don’t see the lights until they turn them on.

I’m guessing they’re for traffic enforcement.

Admittedly, they’re not common. Or maybe it’s just that I never notice them? Their plan is working! :smile:

As soon as the front of their car dips abruptly under the braking force they attract the attention they were trying to avoid …

1 Like

Thought: a cop detector. They have radios and the radios are always on. These radios are tuned to specific frequencies, and because they are superheterodyne, they broadcast that frequency (shifted by the intermediate-freq offset) wide and far. A sensitive receiver could be able to not only alert to a presence of a cop car (or even a foot cop), but with some DF also pinpoint the direction.

The equipment can be mounted in the car, bluetooth-linked to the driver’s cellphone, and upload the location and signal strength (and possibly direction) in real time to a cop-track server.

The method I typically encounter is that they enjoy tailgating you really close on the freeway, so that you subconsciously keep increasing your speed bit by bit, until you realize they’ve pushed you up to 80MPH but are still about 20 inches from your rear fender. Then when you try to switch lanes to slow down, the lights go on, and they savor extorting their quota of tickets from you.

2 Likes

If you’d suddenly brake and they crash into you, who would be considered guilty?

Me. Reckless endangerment if nobody gets hurt, assault/murder of a cop if the cop gets hurt/killed, obstruction of an officer if I get hurt. So I guess if it happens again, and I decide to brake check, my best game theoretical option is to make sure I’m killed in the process.

1 Like

Unless you claim that an animal ran in front of you. There is always a potential reason for sudden braking.

…and therefore there is always a reason to keep the distance.

Cop cars have dashcams you know. They’d be able to review the footage and see that indeed there was no animal.

There is a large grey area left for interpretation, as from the angle they may not see the cat or rabbit (or the “fast moving something”) you claim you saw. A deer, that’d be almost certainly visible, though. The story has to be tailored to the terrain, too; “some small animal” can be everywhere, whether urban/meadow/forest though, the main variable here will be the road sides that could hide said animal until the last moment.

It was a pink elephant, occifer. I can’t believe you dint she it.

3 Likes

You’re reminding me that my next dash cam will have two cameras; one for what’s in front of me, and one for what’s behind. I have no patience for tailgaters. I also have electronic assist brakes. If I have need to stop somewhat quickly, I will get rear-ended. Learned that lesson a month after I got my current car.

[edit to reply to @pixleshifter] Yeah, that doesn’t work around here. Best bet is to gradually slow down and maintain huge distance between me and the vehicle in front of me.]

1 Like

There are automotive-grade four-channel video recorders. Apparently there is quite a market for such devices.

Insurance scams and crooked cops are a world-wide problem. :confused:

3 Likes

I say that so often, I fear that I will do it for real some day…

5 Likes

A handy tip to use on tailgaters (depending on your vehicle) is to turn your lights on. This turns on the rear reds and gets mistaken often for brake lights. I’ve heard the screeching behind me on more than one occasion.

1 Like

Hmmm. You.