Politicians beclown Wyoming with performative resolution

Ford makes an EV pickup truck. Game over, even if Wyoming doesn’t realize it yet.

13 Likes

I thought all the oil and gas companies were rapidly buying up all kinds of electric, battery, transmission, distribution companies. Fundamentally changing their make up from just oil and gas into energy conglomerates. Including changing their names to “Energy” instead of “Oil” or “Petroleum”.

Meaning, instead of supporting those companies, it’s a big FU to the business plans they are already making.

4 Likes

“the resolution would be entirely symbolic.”
Wimps, put some teeth to it or shut up.

2 Likes

Pentagon is making an EV Humvee too. The next generation of EVs is going to be interesting.

3 Likes

Let’s assume less fossil fuels are needed for electric vehicles. If more people in Wyoming use an electric vehicle then the state uses less fossil fuels so they can export more fossil fuels. Which means the state economically benefits from more electric vehicles.

Truly morons. The entire lot. And a great big fuck you to every journalist covering the story who fails to include the simple chain of logic above.

6 Likes

Somebody has got to be at the top of the heap for dumbassery. Wyoming is just making their bid but they face such stiff competition. But hey, at least they’re trying.

5 Likes

GM already has a consumer level Hummer EV on the roads. I saw one charging at a near-by Tesla station in late summer last year.

7 Likes

Just to note- the Situation in Cuba isn’t caused by a ban on Importing cars, It’s caused by the US’s Half century long trade embargo on the island, that’s designed to stop even third countries from trading with Cuba.

7 Likes

If only the people of Wyoming were smart enough to make that calculation for themselves, there’d be no need for government to intervene. /s

"…obviously it’s a very serious issue that deserves some public discussion,” Senator Boner, one of the bill’s co-sponsors, told the Cowboy State Daily. :rofl:

6 Likes

Ahh, but there’s a difference. One locale gets snow and ice, and presumably salt for the roads, one does not.

4 Likes

Exactly. If I was an automobile company I’d be a lot more interested in making sure I could sell my product line to the California market than to the Wyoming market.

12 Likes

IIRC, it’s both. The US Embargo, but also Cuba had very strict import rules on who could import a foreign made car (even Soviet ones). Those were relaxed in 2014.

Fair point - they will have to import scrapped replacements more. Or invest in undercoating.

4 Likes

The new Abrams MBT is a hybrid. Take that, WY!

14 Likes

Follow-up - it died in committee:

13 Likes

12 Likes

Someone on committee probably reads boingboing.

6 Likes

As if anything they do matters.

1 Like

I suspect it matters to the environment in Wyoming and the people who would actually like a clean one.

6 Likes

It’s a GOP stronghold. They do the wrong thing gleefully just out of spite. Pointing out how awful they’re being only encourages them.

Oh… I didn’t realize that you can stop pollution at the borders of the state or not let it impact people who aren’t assholes! Magical! /s

Ah yes… if we say nice things about them, they’ll finally stop being dicks! /s

9 Likes