Politico asked 34 big thinkers to predict how the coronapocalypse will permanently change our world

For real, social distancing could just, be, a thing? Everyone could stay six feet away from strangers in the grocery store all the time, and we could do away with handshakes forever. Please and thanks, from someone with a real problem with strangers touching me.

4 Likes

As soon as this got serious, I made a personal vow to stop touching other people’s face.

4 Likes

“We” aren’t all one person, and “we” certainly aren’t the worst individuals you might choose to point at.

Plumbing might will maybe need to change.

Link to PDF.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S2214-109X(20)30112-1

It does not get a lot of press, but sewage management needed an overhaul anyways. See: The online flamewars about whether or not you can eat perch or catfish from the North Loop branch of the Chicago river. (You should not but the water appears clean enough)

The answer to this problem in Chicago has been in progress since the 70’s. Massive engineering project.

4 Likes

You’ve clearly got a much higher opinion of society than I do.

I think this guy is a little bit confused. He keeps mixing up machines and the software on them, and the tools to vote electronically. I also have no patience for web developers and Internet personalities who talk about security and securing packets. But he DOES have a lot of computers around him, which should make him an expert on everything computer and network.

1 Like

Why not both?

Personally I think people have been shown to have remarkably short memories about this sort of thing, and that not a whole lot will significantly change forever. Maybe more voting by mail, but many states were moving that direction already.

How much changed “forever” as a result of the 2008 financial crisis? Half the regulatory reforms that were put in place as a result of that have already been gutted.

I hope I’m wrong though!

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2020/03/the-coronavirus-pandemic-wont-change-anything-forever/

2 Likes

In 1923 my grandmother was given a house. My mother was vahue about it, as if a mysteriously. She was born that year.

But my grandmother was a nurse, and had been a personal nurse at a rich hiuse. I’m thinking it was because of the flu epidemic of 1918, but just a guess.

So maybe some nurses will get similar bonuses now. That’s my prediction/hope.

1 Like

That is the most fucked up version of Fear Factor that I have heard of yet.

Unicorns may look friendly, but they don’t have that horn for nothing. Why do you think knights went out hunting unicorns in Medieval times? They were lethal, man. It’ll be like Jurassic Park, a new reign of terror.

3 Likes

Naw, they sought after the uni horn because it was proclaimed to be a sexual aphrodisiac.

I don’t care much for patriotism, not even in its more benign forms… but I’m on board with more domestic and robust supply chains. We don’t know how long this will go on, and we have no idea what kind of products may go out of supply, and what industries and services may be disrupted before this is over. Building redundancies into these things will certainly become a lot more popular in retrospect.

2 Likes

What I find remarkable is that the whole collection does not use the word “wages” even once, and mentions the notoriously understaffed, overpriced, gouged-for-profit health care system only in passing. Shouldn’t this be on the top of our concerns now? Or is the applause for health care workers little more than an empty gesture, with which we try to declare people “heroes”, who will fix this for us, while we are absolved from all responsibility?

Delighted though, how Virginia Heffernan plays Camus against Peterson. Now I can’t picture him any other than as one of the consistent, but narrow-minded citizens of Oran.

1 Like

It’s going to business as usual, a rerun of the post-2008 debacle of a failure of a recovery, now with many dead, many more disabled, and many prematurely retired. Proof: The CARES bill as originally drafted by Moscow Mitch. The crap here from the Politico piece is establishment bullshit.

Dambisa Moyo’s part about domestic supply chains is also in the same segment as Todd N. Tucker’s in the Politico article. They discuss how a domestic supply chain could increase costs to corporations and consumers. My belief is that with research into better manufacturing techniques, the cost of domestically-produced goods (especially mechanical parts and electronics) can be significantly reduced.

1 Like

Hopefully, we’ll see:
An uptick in non-contact door and plumbing controls in workplaces, schools, public places.
An uptick in non-contact payment systems in local retail.

So are you claimng the death of cash?

At least some of the stores still open here aren’t taking cash, which leaves out some people. But I wonder if it will be an excuse to eliminate actual money after this is over.

Likewise, yesterday they announced that the stores still open ((most had to shut down by government decree) must now close on Sundays to give workers a rest. Odd how they chose Sunday, it’s only been thirty years here since just about everything shut down on Sundays. Is it a reversion to religious based laws?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.