Poll: Trump at 1% among black voters

[Read the post]

8 Likes

Sad!

18 Likes

Wow, that high?

50 Likes

Yeah, I was boggled at the thought that there might be 7,500 African-Americans in the country willing to vote for the Short-Fingered Vulgarian, much less the 750,000 implied by the headline. But the MoE explains that.

19 Likes

that was going to be my response.

7 Likes

Could also be generous rounding. I can see the argument that representing 0.2% or 0.1% as 1% is less misleading than representing it as 0% for the average person.

1 Like

Actually, itā€™s 101%, but the polling software canā€™t display such great, really tremendous numbers.
Ā 

• Trump 2016!
26 Likes

But rounding up from ~0.0001% feels dishonest :wink:

4 Likes

That high, huh? Guess it goes to show that idiocy is no respecter of racial heritage and history.

4 Likes

Iā€™d have expected that average people are more likely to complain than average mathematicians. Those folks really care about the difference between 0 (ā€œzeroā€) and Īµ (ā€œepsilonā€).

Never watch tired Trump any more. Repetitive. Bad ratings. What happened, GOP? Sad.

16 Likes

Well what does that tell ya?!

Itā€™s no wonder why. I meanā€¦ā€œLook at him!ā€ ā€œMy African-American!ā€. He canā€™t help but offend - even as he tries to pander.

Heā€™s a bigot, and anybody that has paid any attention knows it.

7 Likes

Iā€™m sure thus could be used by Trump supporters to prove that those people just donā€™t love this country the way they should.

4 Likes

My reaction as well. I had the impression his support among black Americans wouldā€™ve been more concisely expressed in scientific notation.

11 Likes

This doesnā€™t surprise me. What does surprise me is how high Trumpā€™s general support is.

I shouldnā€™t be surprised by the depth and intensity of the racism and proud ignorance that are the driving factors of Trumpā€™s campaign but I retain this belief that weā€™re better than the evidence suggests.

6 Likes

Saw this on a relativeā€™s Facebook wall:

Itā€™s like there isnā€™t even enough self-awareness to realize that their first line of defense on this is the tired ā€œIā€™m not a racist, some of my best friends are black!ā€ trope.

Usually I try to avoid Facebook during elections. ::sigh::

Edit: I also just noticed that in a montage of six pictures, the designer of this graphic couldnā€™t even find six different black men to fill the spots.

27 Likes

Are those even different events? It looks like the color of his tie was maybe shooped in one. Maybe the last one with the bowtie was a sporting event?

Sad!

5 Likes

I suppose you could try explaining to your relative that people have been suing Trump for racist discrimination since at least the early 70s, but I doubt that would really make a difference.

I suspect black voters have a longer collective memory about that sort of thing. Or in the very least are more likely to notice the racism heā€™s spewing now.

22 Likes

I think this may be another example of the Lizardman Constant in action.

1 Like

Well, average people vastly outnumber average mathematicians, but the average mathematicianā€™s rage about misrepresented numbers is vastly larger, so Iā€™d say itā€™s a toss up.

It turns out most people translate 1% to ā€œneverā€ or ā€œalmost noneā€. Not too long ago I had a surgery and the doctor told me I only had about a 1% chance of dying. Based on the nature of the surgery I replied, ā€œIt better not be 1%!ā€ and the doctor immediately went into, Oh, you understand what 1% means mode, explaining to me that lawyers told them they had to give odds but there wasnā€™t any reasonable way to quantify them. Apparently the vast majority of people donā€™t think a 1% chance of dying today is a big deal.

10 Likes