Despite impeachment, Trump approval rating hits new Gallup poll high

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/04/despite-impeachment-trump-app.html

6 Likes

Are they polling these at the local KKK rallies?

28 Likes

No, not despite it. Because of it. He knows that America loves an angry white man, as much as they are put off and annoyed by angry women and frightened of angry black men. He goaded the Democrats into impeaching him. If the Ukraine thing hadn’t done it, he would have escalated. Pelosi understood this. To his base (and a bit beyond, I suppose), he is at his most appealing when he is perceived as fighting.

28 Likes

Exactly. Fighting and winning even, since he will be acquitted.

5 Likes

That comment right there is indicative of why he’ll keep winning, unfortunately.

8 Likes

3 Likes

Clinton’s polls were close 80% after his impeachment. I don’t really know what it all means, but thought I’d throw in some Republican strategy of what-about-ism.

9 Likes

I’m not seeing that much bump in the aggregate polls. Never trust a source that cherry-picks a single poll to support their point. Polls are noisy.

23 Likes

Please help me understand why you consider this to be true,

13 Likes

Until I’m queried, polls are bullshit.

Even then…

8 Likes

A large percentage of americans don’t ever examine any of the information themselves. I would guess <2% ever read a word of the Mueller report, and about the same for the articles of impeachment. The same people that don’t also (for the most part) inherently trust authority and if the Senate says there is no need for witnesses then they will take at face value that Trump must have done nothing wrong. Therefore he must be right about unfair attacks and deserving support.

2 Likes

Have we considered whether the polls themselves might be manipulated as part of another disinformation campaign?

1 Like

tumblr_plz5xh2Cmc1ujinhho1_500

21 Likes

Clearly the comforting, reassuring Super Bowl ads aided in calming the anxious electorate. Well worth the $11 million we paid for them.

1 Like

Exactly right.

When a Republican starts yelling during some debate or interaction, it’s “Fiery”.
When a Democrat does it, it’s a “Meltdown”.

Democrats, being the party with more Adults in the Room, generally refer to yelling people as having a Meltdown. Other thing worth mentioning, the bar for Republicans to accuse a Democrat of having a Meltdown is super low, basically seeming annoyed when talking.

9 Likes

If a Democrat’s lips are moving, they are having a meltdown.

If a Republican’s lips are moving, they are lying.

One of these statements is actually true! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I assume the thought was along the lines of kkk and hard line racists are x% of the population that is far smaller that 49% and the problem is much deeper.

I do not think that translates into a trump win.

However a thorough course of deradicalization would not go amiss.

But it would probably go like our Senator Beyak:

1 Like

Pelosi is saying what? I can’t quite make it out. I told you to sew?

Your deep insights are interesting, but untrue.

5 Likes

Yeah, I really do not buy the validity of many of these polls.

5 Likes