Popeye poses with other nautical and sailor characters in a dope series of fanart

Originally published at: Popeye poses with other nautical and sailor characters in a dope series of fanart | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Speaking of Popeye… Randy Millholland, who does the excellent comic Something Positive (I set it to the first comic, which came out in 2001 and it’s an ongoing storyline that continues today), has taken over the Sunday Popeye comic on Comics Kingdom…

7 Likes

I know that he’s not the only artist that’s drawn the pipe in a somewhat implausible location relative to Popeye’s mouth but compared to some of the older examples this just seems especially distracting. Usually there’s at least a hint that maybe the far corner of the mouth is hidden by the nose, but in this case there’s zero doubt: the pipe is clearly coming out of his cheek. And I just can’t get over it.

Older images for reference:

That animation test just did away with the pipe entirely. That’s a little bit sad (it was often used for visual gags) but also totally understandable in a time when any depiction of smoking leads to a parental warning. And it doesn’t take too long to get used to a pipeless Popeye.

5 Likes

Actually, I’ve seen a recent announcement that the Popeye CGI Movie is back on, and Genndy Tartakovsky is on-board! It’s no longer a Sony project though: it’s apparently being made by the same studio who just made the Netflix CupHead series! This matchup seems VERY promising.

1 Like

Maybe that’s not a pipe at all, but rather Bluto sneaking up behind Popeye with a giant mallet.

2 Likes

By “elucidate the core metaphor of the property that penetrates the human spirit” in relation to Flash Gordon, I assume you mean that a modern take just has to show how he’ll save every one of us? Aaaaaaaaa?

3 Likes

‘Describe what it is about the character that makes it so relatable’?

(The former is still not quite obscure enough to qualify for Private Eye’s Pseud’s Corner. But it’s getting there.)

Freddy Mercury is sad my joke fell flat.

3 Likes

I’ve known Randy since he was playing in the D&D game I ran in Boston decades ago. I remember how excited he was when he brought the first few S*P comics to show us. It’s so great that he’s managed to keep doing it for a living ever since then, and just incredibly awesome that he got this new gig. And that he’s doing so well with it.

5 Likes

I love his comic. Funny and poignant… And his take on Popeye is great.

4 Likes

Nah - It didn’t. But a more direct translation seemed needed (and Pseud’s Corner had already come to mind).

1 Like

I learned what Pseud’s Corner was, so thanks for that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.