The canceled Popeye movie by Genndy Tartakovsky leaked online

Originally published at: The canceled Popeye movie by Genndy Tartakovsky leaked online | Boing Boing

4 Likes

To be fair, it will be hard to top Altman’s cable favourite (featuring Shelley Duvall in the role she was born to play).

27 Likes

Insane spectrum of talent in this pic, but none more than The Guy Who Drew The Cover of Revolver as von Schnitzel or w/e his name was.

5 Likes

the official teaser that showed off some early animation.

OMG! That teleporting Jeep is so darn CUTE!!

5 Likes

I loved the old Fleischer cartoons of Popeye. Cartoon Network used to play them at like 2 or 3 in the morning and I’d Tivo them.

When I was younger I know the color re-runs of the newer cartoons (from the 50s?) used to play at my grandma’s house.

5 Likes

1936 and Eugene the Jeep introduces the concept of the 4th dimension to the comic reading public

14 Likes

Really?

Klaus Voormann

4 Likes

I saw it as a kid and then later as a young adult, and didn’t love it either time. Genndy Tartakovsky’s CG version would’ve had a better chance for me to like, but it’s a shame that Sony decided to cancel it

4 Likes

I misread as Tarkovsky and am so disappointed

12 Likes

Apparently so. I don’t remember the movie well enough to know who that character is.

2 Likes

I was more commenting on the stereotyping by throwing out the name of a German food for a person’s name.

3 Likes

The opening with the 20-minute tracking shot of Popeye leaving the ship to buy spinach is chef’s kiss.

EDIT: Warning, this is a Tarkovsky joke.

11 Likes

Forget it, Jake, it’s Sweethaven.

7 Likes

Don’t be too disappointed, Tartakovsky made some amazing art too. Can’t post a link, but you should look up “Samurai Jack XX: Jack and the Monks”. It’s beautiful work.

7 Likes

In case anyone was unawares, after a fantastic run a couple years ago in the online-only Popeye’s Cartoon Club Randy Milholland of the webcomic Something Positive has taken over the Sunday strips for the main Popeye series.

They’ve been a lot of fun, and I’m really looking forward to see what else he does with Popeye and friends.

8 Likes

I keep forgetting that he’s doing this…

6 Likes

In the meantime, I’ll just watch Punch-Drunk Love where Barry’s (Adam Sandler’s) spinach is his discovery of love, namely, Lena (Emily Watson).

5 Likes

Ah, lol. I got whoooshed.

5 Likes

Welcome to El Clubareeno.

4 Likes

Really? Good for him! I eventually stopped doing my daily webcomics that included Something Positive. I did meet him at a convention once and have a sketch of Choo Choo Bear frozen in carbonite.

3 Likes