The canceled Popeye movie by Genndy Tartakovsky leaked online

So am I. It would have been so easy to remove the typical Popeye whimsy. Just give Blutto a bigger role and let him win… but with irony.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Oh, my.

2 Likes

There was a 2004 cgi-animated movie, “Popeye’s Voyage: the Quest for Pappy” with Billy West voicing Popeye, that wasn’t great, but also not horrible. Oh well. Nothing can beat the old black-and-white Fleischer Studios shorts anyway!

3 Likes

i was never a big Popeye fan, but i would be more inclined to watch a Tartakovsky version, that’s for sure.

5 Likes

Tartakovsky made so much money for Sony, and they’ve jerked him around for years. I hope they treat him better at Warner Bros.

1 Like

Considering how things are going over there right now, I’m worried.

1 Like

We have been robbed.
That movie would have been fantastic!

4 Likes

Underdog The Movie was live action, not CGI. I’d rather watch a live action 50s version of Popeye than CGI. With Robin Williams dead though who could play him as well?

1 Like

So it has got a very long and beautiful build-up, and then a satisfyingly unsatisfying punch line?

2 Likes

Note: Despite the cliclbait headline the film was not leaked online. However the full animatic of it was. The finalized footage in the video Devin posted is from a teaser that has been publicly available for years.

That said, Tartakovsky’s animation work is a visual delight, and he’s one of the few people that can make CGI work in the same elastic way drawn animation is capable of. So the animatics are pretty compelling.

1 Like

I loooove Shelley Duvall’s work, and have fond memories of the live action movie - I should give it another watch!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.