Popular midcentury CorningWare pattern is back

I don’t know why we are so gifted, but my family managed to break them fairly regularly. The cereal bowls were especially vulnerable.

Baboons are less destructive than we are.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Whoa, nice.

1 Like

That’s someone else’s set, because our small one is in the back of the fridge near the Smucker’s (and I don’t remember what’s in it, uh-oh), and I haven’t cleaned the large one of the popcorn remains yet.

3 Likes

Greaves jams ftw!

We have the less-attractive but incredibly useful three-bowl set like this:

Our casseroles are the later Spice-of-Life pattern. I’m waiting for them to come back into fashion so I can cash in.

9 Likes
4 Likes

/pedant If you are looking for Pyrex dishes. make sure you get the older borosilicate ones. The brand name was spun off, and they changed the glass formula to a soda-lime composition, theoretically because the new formula was less prone to mechanical breakage. They are much less heat tough now, and have been known to shatter from temperature changes (like being put in/taken out of a hot oven). The old ones were based on laboratory glass, and had far fewer malfunctions.

9 Likes

In a Simpsons episode they zoomed in on a Corelle dish with a blue floral pattern. I can’t find any reference to this on the web.

2 Likes

Also the first weekend in December they have free admission to the museum and a festival in downtown Corning where they close the street for vendors. Pretty nice way to kick off the holidays at the actual time you should, aka post-thanksgiving

4 Likes

We have one in the below pattern, too. It’s 7x5x3.

I was just looking at my lasagna pan - it’s glass and says “Marinex” and “Made in Brazil” That one is also older than I am.

4 Likes

My mom has had a few of these, still has one or two i think. Excellent cookware

4 Likes

When my mum bought a set of CW plates in the mid-70s (a large extravagance for our thrifty household), she proudly proclaimed ‘they’re unbreakable!’

I believe my brother’s and my response was an early version of ‘challenge: accepted’. Turns out the plates really DO break. :-o

4 Likes

I grew up with that same casserole dish. It was my grandmother’s and I’m pretty sure it made it through Katrina and is still being used by my Mom.

4 Likes

Weird.
But frequency, yes. Those posters were everywhere.

4 Likes

Wait, there’s a 3rd one?
(Bottom one was the same color as yours as recently as a year ago, but we switched dishwasher detergent…)

4 Likes

…and this is how my family (troop of baboons) nearly destroyed the ovenware.

We also found out how to turn any pattern black through excessive ovenage. For a while, my mom thought the microwave was turning it black and almost yanked out the nuker, until she did it to one of the casserole pans by slow-roasting really tough beef in it.

1 Like

HA! I’m showing my wife this post. She gets on my case all the time over the “ugly” green “spring blossom” plates we inherited from my parents. To me they scream “happy childhood memories” and “damn near indestructible”. I didn’t have the small bread dish sized plates, but now thanks to ebay…

Also, three cheers to the “spice of life” casserole, which I picked up from a thrift store in college!

1 Like

Disappointed. The return pattern is NOT the same. :cry:
My family had lots of this stuff and I had a little miniature tea set in the same pattern (made of plastic). Super nostalgic and I would have ordered a whole set for myself were it really the same. I guess I just need to get my sisters on the job, visiting garage sales. (I live in Tokyo - never see it here.)

2 Likes

Seriously these are everywhere. For a bit, we were re-sellers for china and dishes. These are worth money if you know how to work it. Replacements.com https://www.replacements.com/search/?query=corning
I grew up with Butterfly Gold…

1 Like

Not all CorningWare items currently being produced are made of the old hard-to-destroy material. Some pieces, like the ramekins for example, are now plain old stoneware. Nothing inherently wrong with stoneware, but it’s not the old wonder glass-based material.

6 Likes