Porch pirate's car gets stuck in snow

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/08/porch-pirates-car-gets-stuck-in-snow.html

7 Likes

16 Likes

This was the best part of the video. Given that it was Canada, I can’t even tell if they guy was being sarcastic or friendly. Man, do I want to move a few hundred miles north.

15 Likes

ReBoing

7 Likes

for some reason this was exactly what i needed to see today

5 Likes

This is one of the most Canadian things I’ve ever seen.

7 Likes

So, never spin your tires, but rock them back and forth. Easier with a manual, but with an automatic, there’s some risk of engine damage, but you can try this sort of method, which seems safer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOIRFZpR7XM

I’m not a mechanic, so don’t know the actual risk from quickly throwing it into drive and reverse and back again, but I grew up in snow and have unstuck myself a bunch doing this.

1 Like
13 Likes

at the end, where he was telling him “it’s front wheel drive, you need to free the front wheels” I think he was actually trying to help. The woman, however, “You asshole…” :slight_smile: I wonder if this guy faced any charges; there seems obviously to be an intent but that might not be enough. Years ago I had my house broken into and my computers piled into a bedsheet like a giant “loot” bag. I arrived home at about this point, the guys took off. One was caught by my neighbour’s dog, the other I chased a bit. While he was running he dumped a bunch of my stuff out of his pockets. I didn’t realize why, but he did hang onto a watch that I guess he thought wasn’t traceable (had an engraving on it) and that was apparently crucial to getting a conviction. These same guys went into another neighbour’s house but didn’t take anything; since the door was unlocked it wasn’t B&E. They were convicted for my break in, though, one of them, the runner, did many years because of a concealed handgun.

EDIT: found a news article on this, the guy got charged with fraud and theft. Article didn’t say if it was for this event or something he might have had in his car

3 Likes

Despite the comedy (What’s the number for 911?), I’m a bit uncomfortable with this scene going viral. Too many dangerous clichés all in one place. Brown on white crime, inept at that, and obvious unfamiliarity with snow reads immigrant.

I hope the guy was a prankster, tragically got the wrong house, and has been thoroughly embarrassed.

FYI in most parts of the world 112 will get you to emergency services because it is a GSM and European standard.

2 Likes

Sarcastic, in Canadian manner. I lol’d. Hard.

[I am not Canadian, merely a neighbor who grew up in the US’s closest facsimile of Canada, Minnesota (and no, folks in SE Ontario can’t easily tell my accent from theirs - I blend, eh?).]

@David_Guilbeaul: one the intertubz oldest shared videos, and still funny, well done.

3 Likes

So did he really leave his engine in gear and the wheels spinning while he tried to remove snow, while in front of the car? And if his cack-handed plan had actually worked where would he - and the car - have been, then?

5 Likes

Indeed, I found that scary. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I’ve actually done that (get out of a car with the wheels turning to push it) so it appeals to me. But don’t do that, only for the young and stupid. And I’m not young anymore. Re Minnesota accent, my Niece is married to a guy from there, his accent seems pretty broad to me. But then, so does a Toronto native’s accent. Most of the TO people I know(or rather knew, haven’t been in years) are originally from Jamaica or Quebec though :slight_smile:

1 Like

This really made me homesick. :wink:

7 Likes

He beached that car. Those front wheels need to make solid contact with the ground first. :laughing:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.