Porch pirates sprayed with glitter and fart smell after opening fake package booby traps

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/18/porch-pirates-sprayed-with-gli.html

9 Likes

A dye pack like banks use would be even greater.

14 Likes

A very expensive prank. Also, completely worth every penny for the reactions, and I particularly love how he went with really annoying but harmless gags.

29 Likes

It would have been even better to show the faces of the thieves as they reacted to the glitter bomb, even though I understand why they obscured them. How many do you think have been disuaded from their criminal activity by this?

4 Likes

“really annoying but harmless gags”

You seem to have no real world experience with glitter, the herpes of crafting.

34 Likes

It looks like he even layered the different colors of glitter.

11 Likes

Came to post the same comment.

1 Like

Glitter is also a microplastic that can really fuck up aquatic life. It’s seriously terrible and not harmless.

16 Likes

If you wanted to be evil, locate a supply of the recalled/unsold iPhones and Samsung phones that would spontaneously catch fire or explode.

3 Likes

Seems like a pretty high number of stolen packages. Is he living in a hotbed for it? I’m not sure I’d get things delivered if I plus my local acquaintances were getting enough packages stolen to make this video.

Porch piracy is rampant across the US, and it doesn’t matter how nice or crappy your neighborhood is.

19 Likes

I am slightly suspicious. Maybe his town does have a near-100% rate of theft for packages left on doorsteps – people do suck – but I struggle to believe that every single package thief would narrate their reaction out loud with no one around.

2 Likes

Curious…does someone on camera caught committing a crime actually get to have a right to privacy?

I personally say no.

4 Likes

2 things…

1. package theft is a huge issue over the last few years across the US. Regardless of how nice or shitty your neighborhood.
  2. The instances you see were not all filmed within 24 hours or anything. So define “seems pretty high”…he records 6 or so…if that was 6 in a 24 hour period…sure, seems high. if its 6 in a 6 month time frame, not so much.
8 Likes

I share an office space with a person who talks to herself all day long. Loudly. Every keystroke, every thought. I wear ear buds and I have to crank up the music in order to drown her out. Even then, she’s so loud that I often need to remove an ear bud and ask her if she said something to me.

Sometimes I catch myself saying, “What the …” out loud when reading email.

It does not surprise me in the least that thieves do the same.

16 Likes

“Ugh, that glitter’s a pain in the ass, but hey, free phones!”

5 Likes

I’ve tended to think of porch pirates as poor and homeless (I guess because when I find the discarded packages it’s always in an area near where homeless people camp out), but from these videos it’s people who appear to be doing OK. That one guy has a Les Paul hanging on his wall.

12 Likes

That’s all I want for Christmas!

1 Like

there is biodegradable glitter now, made with cornstarch, i think. not all glitter is plastic.

6 Likes

Theft/Criminal behavior is not relegated to the poor or destitute alone.

See exhibit A:

22 Likes