Porch pirates sprayed with glitter and fart smell after opening fake package booby traps

When my apartment was robbed years ago they took my tv, a leather coat, a drawer full of my Victoria’s secret underwear, my makeup collection, and my glass pipes. They left me one bong and my herb.

O_o

To this day, I’m not sure if it’s that they turned their noses up at my weed, or if that was supposed to be some perverse form of consolation.

The kicker is they left behind what was actually most valuable; my kid’s and my birth certificates and our social security cards.

Fucking crack-headed amateurs, (thank heaven.)

12 Likes

I am not rejecting it completely…I am rejecting that your 3000 by just your company/work/personal situation over a month is a large and varied enough sample size to conclude that package theft is not an issue.

As for evidence to the contrary…I submit this post on BB as well as the seemingly hundreds over the past year about this topic throughout the web. I’m not here to do the googling for you, you have a computer and two hands. And if you would rather believe your little bubble and echo chamber and dismiss the fact that there are youtube vids and news reports and articles a plenty regarding package theft…then by all means leave your own packages on your front porch/doorstep and enjoy your day.

Yep. And especially when their surprised!!

1 Like

Youtube videos and BB posts??? HEAVENS! It’s a crime tsunami. Won’t somebody save us?

Seriously, I did Google it before I replied to you, or I wouldn’t have written that. There are a whole lot of articles referencing the same set of numbers without providing a source or real context. There’s a 1000-person survey conducted a while back that is based on respondents self-reporting theft and self-reporting the rates of parcels they receive. There are home security companies posting about how we should all freak the hell out over parcel theft. There appear to be hundreds of Youtube videos posted over the last few years. What’s missing: numbers published by the big carriers (USPS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon) or the major retailers (Amazon, I guess) or any law enforcement agency.

I’d be worried by the software: details depend on model; but when you are the unauthorized user of a phone that someone who clearly put some effort into this sting has had ample physical access to the odds that the phone is bugged like a cold war embassy with a roach problem would seem alarmingly high.

Clearly that didn’t happen in this case; but I’m pretty surprised that the perp didn’t leap to neutralize the phone. “Loaded with sensors, globally unique IDs, radios; and possibly a sticker price high enough to make stealing it a felony” is a pretty grim spec sheet; but that’s a phone for you.

3 Likes

I wonder if it had anything to do with their perception of law enforcement priorities and/or the workings of sentencing enhancements.

At least in the cases where I was burgled the police took a “and we do this because your insurance company’s demands it” attitude toward the whole affair; and made it fairly clear that the matter was not exactly a pressing concern.

It wouldn’t entirely surprise me if “possession of stolen goods and weed” is much, much, less sensible to be discovered in than just the stolen goods; and if it’s enough for possession with intent…

1 Like

Or even just destroy things for no reason.

Our first year at our house we put out Christmas decorations because we finally had a front yard. A trio of teen punks slashed them up with knives the first night they were up. The only good thing was the third one climbing back over the fence slipped at the top and face planted on the other side, but I was far too pissed to properly enjoy it.

Some people are just atrocious fuck nuts and their numbers appear to be legion.

7 Likes

Destroying stuff is easy; it takes no thought, no preparation, and very little time invested. That’s all the reason some folks need.

6 Likes

Yep, we just had a discussion about this in a meeting today. We ship from four locations and we have some customers who want the signature. Our pricing from FedEx is ~$4.75 a signature. Of course, this cost will be passed along…

1 Like

Yea, generally once I get a notice that something is coming to me of any high value, I change the delivery from my house to held for pickup.
I work from home most of the time, but will have to leave at times so I can never be 100 percent sure.

1 Like

I used to have a great store I could send all my packages to USPS, UPS and FedEx. They’d hold your packages for a $1 or 2 each. Anything important would be sent there. I was virtually immune to porch piracy. I did business with them for years, then one day they told people they were moving stuff out for remodeling, then scampered off overnight with everything, from store fixtures to customer packages and left without a forwarding address. The mall management and the franchise company all claimed they had no notice.

Now, without a car and without my formerly cool packaging store, having packages held is a big PIA because the holding procedure depends on which shipping company is involved, and sometimes the hold locations are not anywhere near public transit.

Definitely was smart to use harmless items. Although if the perps get arrested now, will they turn it around and try and sue Mark? Will someone claim entrapment?
Here’s how they actually made it:

I can imagine a lot of people are on Alibaba trying to make cheap knockoffs now.

2 Likes

It happens way more often than some people think.

I am lucky in that my workplace doesn’t mind if we get the occasional package, so that’s where I have them shipped.

And yet I have still had something go missing.

8 Likes

Now you can elect to have it sent to a locker in the nearest Whole Foods store or similar.

4 Likes

You’re right 30% of the country is absolutely nothing. It’s clearly not a real problem.

4 Likes

My reaction to the slowmo glitter cloud:

9 Likes

might want to link the build vid from, you know, the person who built it, rather than a clickbait aggregate channel

2 Likes

I think that you are reading a lot in to what I said. If I thought that it was fake, I would say that I thought that it was fake. I’m just surprised at the amount of variance in experience.

I don’t find these remotely comparable situations and i suspect that you do not either.

Probably a good idea to make sure that fine glitter clouds aren’t flammable.

2 Likes