Porch thief collared

So bizarre— literally 4 miles from my house: 'Porch pirate' chased, captured by neighbors; also captured on video – KIRO 7 News Seattle

I wouldn’t call Kenmore a “tony neighborhood”, but it does have a fair amount of high tech nearby it.

Sounds like the chaser is a real go-getter:

“I don’t think this guy realized who he was messing with, because my neighbor is a wrestler and a football player, and an Eagle Scout to boot.”

Kudos to him!

An Old Navy bag? +10 points for the idea to conceal the amazon box, -100 thinking an Old Navy bag is much less conspicuous, and -1000 for having a bag too small and now carrying both box and bag.

Why is he robbing a porch with a car parked in the driveway?

The neighbor appears 4 minutes later… why wasn’t old navy the hell out of the neighborhood by then?

i hear the music for about 2 seconds, turned off sound. It’s not as funny as it used to be.

1 Like

Yeah, didn’t actually need to hear it; I could hear it in my head with the sound off.

Heres a capsule example of our reality distortion problem, right here. Older journalistic standards would dictate the story doesnt run unless its all provably true. But this guy isnt a journalist, hes an engineer. Who was hoaxed. Does that infect the entire story, making it bogus?

BoingBoing never ran a retraction that I could see, so its in the same position as the engineer-earnestly forwarding information they thought was true at the time. Rather than correct the miscaptioned video, they remind us, buyer beware.

Overall, its hard to point the finger at one particular player in this story, and say, “this person delberately lied”. And the old standards of journalism clearly dont apply here, it falls to the Miami Herald to set the record straight.

In this instance, no real harm is done… but this same kind of environment, this same tension between “prove its true/prove its false” is what got us to the Trump/Putin campaign. And theres no easy fix for that.

In theory, electronic news stories could, in themselves become “sticky” and attract corrections and updates on their own, like a forum thread. But the paper paradigm still has readers doing that in our memory instead of doing it on the page.

1 Like

I don’t disagree. ANd to compound this issue with the knee jerk reaction of the inter webs where we have the luxury to see a reported item (regardless of source) and react to it with praise or condemnation without taking the time to understand all the variables and implications.

The doubletree story is a great example. Doubletree the company may be directly responsible for the actions of a couple of employees but they cannot take immediate negative action against said associates. They need time to investigate and ensure they are firing or otherwise punishing their associates appropriately. Or they face potential litigation on two fronts.

It takes time to figure things out and make a determination of course of action. But we don’t wait. We jump right to execution phase.

The internet has screwed a lot of things up.

What burns me up about the Jermaine Massey story, is what the cops did not do once they arrived. Just as in a fatal SWATting, they showed up and performed the algorithm. And Ive head no one call the police to account, for not even posing the question, “does this guy belong here?” They saw a white guy in a uniform and gave him backup, without question. If a black guy in civilian clothes were to make the same kind of 911 call, you can bet there would have been more questions asked.

Squirrels aside, I dont think the internet has really screwed anything up on its own, it has just exposed a lot of things that were broken all along.

1 Like

We are venturing off topic and that’s partially my fault. In that case they did what they are required to do. When an establishment calls them and says they want someone removed. It’s their job to ensure the person leaves. In this case very unfortunate.

All that aside. My point is simply that we as a readership sometimes react too quickly without getting more info. And one can argue if that makes it worse or not but for me it does. I want info to make informed decisions and judgments. Not reactionary ones. Not that I am not immune to doing it too at times. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.