Portland cops charge homeless woman with theft for charging her phone

Thought. Supercapacitor-based energy bank, chargeable from the mains in several seconds, trickle-charging the phone over time. Reduces need to camp at the outlet for prolonged periods of time, blocking it and/or risking to be caught.

We need more supercaps… and fewer wannabe supercops.

2 Likes

Also represents a huge increase in cost, another thing to lug around all the time, and another thing that can be stolen… none of which are great for the homeless or those likely to be targeted for plugging in.

Depends who you are talking about. Assuming greed to be normal might be counter-productive!

With today’s parts. Given the simplicity of the supercaps, and that graphene is easy to produce in mass scale, and the demand from the plethora of short-term storage applications from cars to UPSes, the cost is guaranteed to go down fast.

Unless integrated with the charger, which I consider highly probable to happen. A hybrid charger and energy bank with mains interface is only a logical product. Then it is a year or two until the older models flood the secondhand/hand-me-down market.

My bet is that supercap energy banks will be cheap and practical way before the homeless problem itself will even start being properly addressed.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.