Portland cops charge homeless woman with theft for charging her phone

[Permalink]

1 Like

This has been happening for years all around the country. In a bit of good news, though, this past December the mayor of Los Angeles ordered Metro officials to stop arresting people for charging phones from bus and train station outlets.

11 Likes

Was this a city owned outlet? or a privately owned outlet.

If it was city owned…and it was unlocked and unsecured it’s like drinking from a water fountain. There’s no sign saying “Water fountain for city use only” means it’s open to the public.

8 Likes

I’ve seen this before, in Old Town and other parts of the city. The first time I saw it, I figured, eh, we paid for it anyway, just like the library.
At the absolute worst, she should have gotten a quick reminder that she can’t do that; it’s one of those obscure little violations that may or may not be illegal that cops can bring up if they’re in the mood.

5 Likes

I might assume it was a planter from a business. I see those fairly often out here in Austin, these big planters with random outlets on them… i’m assuming they are self-watering.

1 Like

The report contained an update that stated the outlet was private, but on a planter placed on a public sidewalk. However, from how the “defendant” spoke about previous incidents of being “wrong” kind of person in the “right” part of town, this is less about theft than it is about protecting the sensibilities of people who matter from having to face the reality of their surroundings.

13 Likes

good illustration

4 Likes

If we switch to the Danish type of plug, the optimism is endless

We might yet be able to figure out how to treat people humanely with outlets like that.

30 Likes

Only a small step away from a ‘theft for breathing the air’ charge.

18 Likes

Next thing you know the EPA will be fining the indians for sending smoke signals.

1 Like

City libraries seem like they’d be a great place for charging a phone. Just don’t loiter all day and the well won’t dry up. Is Portland so crime-free?

1 Like

In the Salt Lake Main Library the tables have a little pop-up thing that has both electrical sockets and internet plugs.

2 Likes

They should start with the cops that decided to arrest her, and move up from there, identifying everyone in the process that had the authority but didn’t stop this idiocy when it crossed their path, and simply fire every one of them. Anyone this cruel or negligent with public funds should not have work in a position where they can impact people’s lives.

18 Likes

Not exactly crime free, but you can pretty much live at the library as long as you don’t fall asleep; and provided you don’t stretch your cord across anywhere someone wants to walk, you can do just that. The library is the only place where a lot of people who don’t have the Internet can have an email address.

3 Likes

Which would mean a private biz complained about it…

Hummm…which one?

2 Likes

Dunno’ but it sounds like the kind of thing that would happen in the Pearl district. If so it’s some shishi boutique designed to attract the worst elements of Portland society.

1 Like

You do understand the concept of theft, right? What she ADMITS she was doing WAS THEFT…
Theft IS a crime. If theft isn’t a crime because you’re poor, well, Hell, I’ll rob a few banks tomorrow, because I make less than half of the median CA income.

1 Like

FTFA:

Worried that a pleading guilty would put a black mark on her record that would interfere with her ability to get social housing, she pled innocent. After two court dates with two different public defenders, the DA dropped the charge.

Notice how she pleaded innocent, and the charge was dropped.
That’s the opposite of admitting she was guilty of theft, and the government agreeing.

Try a little harder to read the article.

26 Likes

I was thinking tar and feathers.

2 Likes

“Dear future, how’s that post-scarcity thing going?”

9 Likes