Portland cops charge homeless woman with theft for charging her phone

Reverting to name-calling is no way to present an argument.
Unless you are a three-year-old.

8 Likes

I wonder if there might actually be some very subtle psychological influence to being surrounded by horrified little faces all the time.

2 Likes

Je suis H. Christ.

7 Likes

I believe it was the private Rent-A-Cops that were the initial “THERE’S A CRIME BEING COMMITED HERE” claxons that refused to consider reasonable circumstances because they get paid for every person whose hauled in under their watch (quotas and all)

2 Likes

We aren’t post-greed yet.

4 Likes

So if you were walking along a public sidewalk and came across a public potable water fountain, in the absence of any signage you’d not drink from it because your assumption would be that it wasn’t there for public consumption? Really?

6 Likes

If I come upon something like a pavement or outlet, it might not be clear if it’s private or public for me to use.

I, too, generally assume that things like pavements and sidewalks are all owned by private industry. That’s why I walk in the street.

3 Likes

Especially on Clayton St. :smiley:

2 Likes

At our (older building) library, we have outlets explicitly for patrons to plug in their laptops and smartphones while they are using them. We have forbidden a number of outlets because plugging in your device would potentially strain a circuit, run a cord across an aisle, or cause you to sit in the aisle and block it. We limit the type of devices patrons can plug in because otherwise we have people plugging in almost anything that requires electricity, including coffeemakers and electric can openers (I have seen both). We can’t accommodate everyone’s electrical needs; it’s not ideal, but it’s what we have.

4 Likes

Depends… do I get to be white in this scenario?

6 Likes

14 Likes

(putting on pedantic hat)
They do no such thing. This is AC - the electrons just jiggle back and forth across the contact patches between the plugs pins and the receptacle.

(putting on yet another pedantic hat)
And there is no positive or negative pin in a 110VAC receptacle - just a “hot” one (carries the alternating positive and negative voltage) and a “neutral” one (should be safe to touch at any time, unless your wiring is screwed up).

3 Likes

The random passer-by’s recharging station. Who knew Clayton Street would be the future shape of heaven-on-earth?

1 Like

Have you ever pulled into a metered parking space for a minute while, let’s say, to drop a letter in a mailbox? If you did not place a coin in the meter, are you stealing? I found a quarter a few weeks back on the sidewalk. I picked it up. I did not post any signs, and did absolutely nothing what so ever to try to determine the true owner of the quarter. Am I a thief? I recently paid a fair sum to replace the cement in front of my house. Everyday people walk across it, scratching off miniscule bits, so in 50 years or so it will need to be replaced again. Wheres a cop when you need one?

And yes I will report that 25 cent windfall on my 2015 taxes.

6 Likes

Some businesses are okay with it.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/02/25/taking-a-fullsized-c.html

I once locked my bike to a bike rack in front of a shop on public property, even there was no sign telling me it was OK. True story.

I once parked in a parking spot on private property next to a store, despite no sign saying it was OK. I even used the electrical outlet to plug in my car’s block heater.

I once sat on a bench in front of a store, too.

I’ve even been known to use open and unlocked wi-fi connections in public… even those that don’t have gateways letting you know they are OK with using their wi-fi so long as you agree to their conditions.

In other words, I am so a three-year old.

15 Likes

If this business doesn’t want anyone to use its private equipment located on public property. Equipment that is widely (I’d say universal, except you’re being what I can only suspect is purposefully obtuse and trollish) perceived as a public utility, they better put up signage, or lock the damn outlet.

Fershitsake, this is Portland, not Galt’s Gulch. I’m pretty sure people would get sick of living in Galt’s Gulch anyway, seeing as there’d be no such thing as public infrastructure, and everyone would be charging everyone else for goddamn sunlight, and air, and rainfall, and the privilege to hear oncoming traffic, since privately owned vehicles are generating the noise.

6 Likes

Apropos: The Theft of Smell. (There are about a bajillion versions of this folktale)

If only Portland had a wise judge. >.<

2 Likes

There’s one that I don’t remember the details of precisely, but it was about a man promising to survive on a mountain for a fortnight without fire, in order to be granted marriage to his lover. The woman climbed up a mountain across the valley and would light a huge bonfire every night, and the guy would be “warmed at the sight from afar”

The woman’s father said it was cheating, but the judge ruled in the guy’s favor.

I think it might have been a Buddhist legend?

1 Like