Posh British bank tells its posh customers to turn off phone updates

…or could that be a line from ‘trading places’… circa 1983…

1 Like

A publicly broken app is embarrassing; but ultimately a fairly minor matter.

Now, if the same dysfunction that led to their app still being broken pervades other aspects of their IT operations…that could be a problem for someone who handles personal data and finances for targets actually worth hitting.

Hopefully for their customers the app is just some outsourcing fiasco and the security and operations side is a totally different team run to totally different standards by totally different people.

4 Likes

that’s some bad luck. i’ve used credit unions almost exclusively, even back to the pre internet era, and can’t remember any significant troubles

the various websites have gone through different variations and some have been more user-friendly than others. the mobile app i use is downright ugly. it’s always worked though

these days coops seem to band together on the backend and mobile software. i’m a member of two unrelated co-ops and the account management is nearly identical. it wasn’t always that way

2 Likes

you just sprinkle some salt on the server with the passwords, right? i bet they can ever afford the fancy mediterranean kind

2 Likes

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios-ipados-release-notes/ios-16-release-notes

If IOS16 is bug free–and it should be, Apple is a trillion dollar company-- there shouldn’t be anything listed under “known issues”.

Well, the suits over in Compliance got all worked up and asked the intern if ‘hashing’ was youth drug slang; so we’ve had to stick to salt for now…

4 Likes

I’d be interested to know if the interaction between the app and iOS 16 is related to a bug, or to one of the various deliberate API changes; possibly not the same ones that have had Facebook and friends all worked up(though it wouldn’t be a total surprise if the app was significantly grabbier than it ought to be); but something in the same vein.

iOS releases have definitely had some nontrivial bugs, including embarrassing regressions in first-party stuff that should have been amply within Apple’s power to test; but they are also the places where known-breaking API changes get made, the ones that Apple knows will require app updates and either sees that as an acceptable cost or actively a feature.

4 Likes

Did you read the known issues? They seem pretty minor to me. As I mentioned before, I think the yearly release cadence everyone is on (except for companies that are on a rolling releases) are too much, but iOS 16 seems pretty solid. Not being able to run on it suggests the app was probably barely limping along on previous versions, and the devs were ignoring warnings or deprecations.

The coutts apps on the app store have all received miserable reviews, so limping around is probably an apt description.

Proper journalism would be to update the ios on one device, app be damned, and see what happens. Not many reporters with accounts, though.

Good point. Software scales in a way that tellers and other customer representatives don’t.

4 Likes

But my buggy buggy wouldn’t get to the other end of Main Street.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.