Post formatting insanity

Why can’t I put different sized texts on the same line when I use [size=40]Hm[/size] but I can when I use this: <big> use </big>?

Aggggh @codinghorror what is going on?!? Is this just how Markdown vs. HTML vs. bbcode work on the BBS?

<big> Hello! </big>:
Hello! my name is @TailOfTruth!

[size=28] Hello! [/size]:
[size=28] Hello! [/size] my name is @TailOfTruth!

<small> Hello! </small>:
Hello! my name is @TailOfTruth!

[size=9] Hello! [/size]:
[size=9] Hello! [/size] my name is @TailOfTruth!

2 Likes

seems to be something with the parser dealing with the bbcode size tag closing/adding new paragraph tags for [size]. Other bbcode tags I looked at don’t do this:

bbcode in editor:
[b]strong[/b] [i]i[/i] [size=28]test[/size] [i]i[/i]
strong i [size=28]test[/size] i

straight html in editor:
<strong>strong</strong> <i>i</i> <big>test</big> <i>i</i>
strong i test i

When the renderer hits the [size] blocks it closes the p tag and opens a new one which is what’s mangling the formatting.

bbcode rendered result:
`

strong i

test

i

`

html rendered result:
<p><br><strong>strong</strong> <i>i</i> <big>test</big> <i>i</i></p>

4 Likes

That is so odd, so it’s the parser not the bbcode? Do you think there would be a easy way to prevent the parser from doing that or add something to the bbcode to prevent it from being rendered that way?

1 Like

The board is mixing a subset of html, Markdown, and BBCode, I’m kind of amazed that they have as consistent a result as they do with that level of markup mixing.

I haven’t really looked at the source much, but it looks like bbcode part of the message is taking a bbcode specific path since everything getting wrapped in bbcode-styled spans in ways that are different than html/Markdown. I doubt there’s much you could do on the client side other than using the pseudo-html big/small/etc. tags. I haven’t looked at the parser code, though.

I started looking through:

I’m sure if you found wherever the client’s bbcode was getting rendered to html you could find where the paragraphs were getting broken, but I still have the flu, so that isn’t going to be too productive for me.

3 Likes

You are much more skilled in coding comprehension than me but with my very minimal very very basic knowledge that seems very strange, I am even more intrigued to hear what @codinghorror has to say about all of this.com

2 Likes

If you look at the app here:

you can find the bbcode rendering done in JS in:
discourse/app/assets/javascripts/discourse/dialects/bbcode_dialect.js

since the input we’re typing in comments can be either a subset of html, Markdown, or a subset of BBCode when the app get that user input and does the work to render it to html to display in a browser it makes sense to separate out the code that handles html, BBCode, and Markdown, since they are different markup languages.

I assume @codinghorror or @sam could sort out whe [size] is breaking paragraphs pretty easily since they know that codebase.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 328 days. New replies are no longer allowed.