Post your DIY exploits

S’more. A knockoff of a Japanese air-conditioned shirt. Real-world testing is to be done in next few weeks.

On a side note, OpenSCAD is a sweet sweet design tool for a programmer. Assemble the parts with submillimeter accuracy, without having to fight with 2d interface for 3d objects, and even automate some design operations by programming them as scripts. Then when a part is needed to be modified, change parameters (you did specify the sizes as variables, didn’t you?) and regenerate the part.

1 Like

Dunno if it’s just me, but your link seems to be timing out.

OpenSCAD, eh…?

Keep trying, the connection is flaky Just Now. Happens at some days, something is interfering with the wireless and I still did not figure out what. I need a 5GHz spectrum analyzer.

1 Like

Try again, should work better now.

OpenSCAD, a thingy that lets you “program” 3d objects by assembling them from primitives (cube, cylinder, sphere) and making their additions and differences. Can make a 2d plane cut through the object and export it as DXF for e.g. laser cutter, or can export a STL file for a 3d printer.
(Note: at 30mm/sec and 10mA, a K40-III cutter can cut through 2mm acrylic in a single pass. For roughly USD800 the thing is well worth the money, despite the uber-crappy software. And you can upgrade it by replacing the controller card. Or even by replacing the microcontroller chip with a daughter-board - that way you don’t have to pay for yet another set of stepper drivers as you’ll use the onboard ones you already bought.)

I for some reason prefer coding up the objects over fighting with a 2d interface of a 3d cad. You can also generate parts of the structures with code, so making arrays of objects is as easy as coding a pair of nested loops.

…and CAD applications (and molecular modeling) are one of the myriad of reasons why I am so impatiently waiting for virtual reality.

1 Like

The shirt’s pretty cool…

…I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well, I guess too. Since I finished it, the weather is cold and rainy. Muuuurphyyyyy!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 949 days. New replies are no longer allowed.