Post Your Most Disappointing Tech Purchase!

Not quite disappointing, as it has a user replaceable battery and microsd slot which was why I got this model.

But the shuffle play was really really annoying (it would queue some songs much more often than others) and you can only add a 2GB microsd card. What saved it for me was installing rockbox on it. Now it serves admirably at work for providing the tunes.

4 Likes

Rockbox is hard to beat on those old Sansas.

I remember watching woot for those when friends needed a good non-apl player.

3 Likes

Oh yeah great bit of hardware even with the non standard charging cable. While stock firmware was pretty and a nice UI but hearing the same song 3 times in an hour on shuffle play was really annoying. Rockbox while a bit clunky for the UI is so much better otherwise.

1 Like

I liked mine. It was a definite step up from my earlier Palm.

It was great for reading eBooks - once you converted them to .lit format. (This was before better eBook formats came along.) And it was an excellent MP3 player for its time once you spent a moment in the Media Player settings to map a few more functions to the front buttons.

This damn thing. The sonorously-named “iriver SlimX iMP-350 CD/MP3 Player with Ultraslim Design”.

It was, by most accounts (including mine), one of the best burned-MP3-file-CD-players ever. Nice thin plastic-aluminum build, quite premium-feeling design compared to the competition, decent features and not-too-bad UI. All that for around $150 in a time of $499 iPods.

But it wasn’t an iPod. The disappointment was our fault, not the products’, but it grew and grew until the whole product category was swept under the rug of history, unloved and forgotten. It was a good horse, but the wrong horse to bet on.

You damn thing. I’ll remember. :cry:

9 Likes

As a taxpayer: The F-35.

13 Likes

2006 - Thinnest thing you’d ever seen.

5 days - snap - weakest link in the cellular chain. And Samsung refused to replace.

3 Likes

The Alcatel One Touch Pop Icon I’ve owned for less than a month. It’s my first smartphone, has 2 gigs of internal memory, and you can’t put apps on the SD card.

3 Likes

Oh, I’ve got something more relevant to the overall thread:

Shittiest guitar effects processor I ever owned. I mean, I loved the concept of having so many different FX in such a compact package (the rails on the side were meant for your guitar strap to go through them, I think, to keep it ever at your nerdy fingertips onstage), but every last effect sounded like garbage.

I’m pretty sure this whole album was recorded through a ZOOM 9002:

3 Likes

Every pair of headphones I’ve ever bought.

6 Likes

Yes you can. You’ll need to root the phone though.

Nook simple touch.

Device itself worked wonderfully when rooted and running aldiko. Flawlessly for basic email, reading, and the like. I loved that gizmo… for all of a month and then a six inch corner drop and the screen froze. Guy we took it to since barns and noble didn’t want to cover drops said nothing could be done short of getting a new screen and that would cost more than a new unit.

1 Like

http://www.rockbox.org/

Replacement firmware for the sansa line of MP3 players a few other things up to and including the first and i think second gen ipods. Adds functionality.

The fact yours has a replacable battery instantly makes it far more likeable than the sealed black box I see everywhere else.

1 Like

I don’t know how to do that nor know anyone who does, and I’m afraid of messing up the phone because I can’t afford to replace it.

You missed where I said I had installed that. Rockbox is indeed good stuff.

1 Like

Ah, my bad, sorry about that.

1 Like

Grados will give you a taste of what’s possible.

I used to collect computer speakers.

I have a time machine that works. It only works in one direction and jumps you forward however long you sit in it.

I had one of these. I absolutely loved it. Those were the days.

7 Likes

I’ve had a lot of disappointing tech purchases.

I bought an EMS (electrical muscle stimulation) machine thinking it would make me look like bruce lee with no effort. HA!

I bought 3TB external hard drive that died 2 months in taking a ton of data I didn’t have backed up…that one bummed me out for about a month.

A thermal wax printer that did the most beautiful prints I’ve ever seen even to this day, who’s fuser drum scratched itself leaving streaks after only 3 months of use. A $350 replacement only lasted a few more months before another scratch in a different location.

A 64gb USB drive that died after 3 days and newegg wouldn’t replace it.

Pretty much any cheap impulse tech buy ever…

3 Likes

That’s one for the file. I’ve never had Newegg give me trouble over a return. But it’s been years, and my orders were usually in the thousands.

1 Like