Post Your Most Disappointing Tech Purchase!

The iPad 1. I bought the 64GB version with 3G. Bought it the same day as my iPhone 4 GSM 32GB. The day it was available in New Zealand.

I never did anything serious with it, but boy did I try. I wanted it to be so much more than it was. And six months later, the iPad 2. Aw, sheeeiiiit.

I still have it, I still keep it charged, I still get notifications on it. Some apps even still keep updating, but it’s stuck running iOS 5.1.1, while the iPad 2 is running iOS 9.

I tell a lie: I did write a little Phonegap/Cordova app for the iPad in 2012 that I used to fake my own kidnapping and take my then girlfriend on a GPS-driven Geocaching-inspired video-playback spy-themed treasure hunt around Wellington to all the places that were special to us, involving a cast of a dozen of our friends and family, culminating with her travelling to Somes Island and finding me there where I asked her to marry me. She said yes, and we married in 2013, now with one cute little 3-month-old girl.

So… maybe it was all worth it :smile:

FWIW, The GPS receiver was only in the 3G iPad 1s, and only functioned when the 3G was turned on.

6 Likes

Towerfall for Ouya. It will redeem it a little for you, but you’ll want more controllers. Or play Towerfall Ascension on Steam or PS4.

I’ve got a small pile somewhere of Kickstarted iPhone mounts (from, like, the 4-4s era?) that were all rubbish. And took years to get.
Pretty much every 2d printer ever has been a disappointment.
Every flip phone ever was terrible for me.
I own an ancient Nikon Coolpix- a little point-and-shoot digital camera. And while I usually like Nikon just fine, this thing… it’s just so slow. Slow to turn on. Slow to take a picture. Slow to be ready to take the next. Not so much a point and shoot as a point-give-it-a-minute-shoot. And even back then, who does video at 15fps?

4 Likes

good point.

I’ve had great experiences with NewEgg and use them all the time. A few years back they started selling their own “add on” insurance and since then the return period has shrunk and shrunk, many thing they won’t return at all without purchased add on protection. That stick was covered 14 days from purchase. I received it on day 10. by the third day i’d used it and it failed i was out of the 14 day purchase window.

when I shop on newegg now I weigh the cost vs the likelihood of issue vs the cost of the add on coverage. with things like usb flash drives i usually consider them fairly safe purchases. gone are the old days where they were good about covering most anything. now they are just a cheap drop shipper unless you buy the addon coverage.

2 Likes

oh i had one of those. took it to seaworld. i had a lot of pictures of splashes that would have been amazing photos of leaping dolphins if it weren’t for the darn camera.

3 Likes

Yeah. Exactly.
I mean, much of the rest of that camera was fine- of a time and era and whatnot. But the shutter lag was… difficult.
I still have mine, and I let the kids (6 & 4) use it. Works great for them.

2 Likes

I had a newegg order stolen off my front porch this past spring. The effin’ postal service police came to my house to investigate, guy gave me his business card, I forwarded the contact info to newegg and they still refused to re-ship or refund.

Will never purchase anything from them again. Which is sad because I’ve been buying parts from them for almost 15 years.

2 Likes

I think it’s a recent thing too. We’d never had the slightest problem with Newegg until a few years ago when we put together a nice gaming desktop at the upper limit of our price range … only to receive someone else’s $400 computer order. The box had two address labels; one ours, and one for the other customer. In a different state.

They eventually fixed it but trying to get them to even understand the problem was difficult. And somewhere in Utah, I hope the other guy is enjoying his $1500 gaming rig that he paid $400 for.

6 Likes

I also had a Nikon Coolpix. You wanted “Sports Mode” for that kind of thing.

2 Likes

Try kingroot!

2 Likes

The logitech revue, which (at the time) was an excellent piece of kit that Logitech crippled with DRM to the point of complete uselessness. I occasionally try to solder things to it in an effort to get root, no luck so far. It lives on my workbench in a muddle of parts.

2 Likes

Ugh. My first smart phone was the Alcatel one touch fierce and boy did it suck. I had convinced myself that’s what I get for buying a cheap phone but after spending the same amount of money on a Samsung Galaxy grand prime (through cricket wireless, which has yet to disappoint…but it’s only been a couple months) I am not so convinced. I still miss my Nokia bar phone (no idea what model). I could text so much faster using the numbers and predictive text than I have ever been able to manage on a smart phone, or even a phone with a slide out qwerty keyboard. But I am not great with current technology in general. I’m too young to be this old.

1 Like

“Coolpix” covers a lot of ground.

Anything from $600 to $90

Apparently, the Panasonic DMC LS6 has a 1.6 second shutter lag.

1 Like

You’re sure you’re not mistaking it for one of these?

5 Likes

I bought a late eighties early ninties Sparc station at Goodwill once on a dare.

Didn’t even come with keyboard drivers.

11 Likes

The fake musical keyboard for my C64 was a real hoot (NO IT WASNT).

10 Likes

Lastly,every pieceof 802.11a equipment I ever bought.

5 Likes

Yeah, if you want GPS on an ipad (any ipad), you have to buy a cellular model.

1 Like

I don’t think the retelling ever quite lives up to that feeling as some mechanical thing in the car goes from making “the sounds” to making “THAT sound” (or no sound at all); a frantic glance at a long-empty wallet and the realization that the only food in the vehicle is a bag of “Bleu Cheese” Lays from 1992 and a “Strawberry” Jolly Rancher that’s half melted to the inside of the glovebox; another glance to the road ahead, hoping for a 200-mile downhill coast to the house and the tools and food and some spare change, but the only thing in view is a ratty gas station offering two handwritten signs, “No Gas” and “Be Back at 2pm” but the 2pm has been crossed out and “Never” written in above it.

During one of the many coasting-to-a-stop’s that I’ve had to endure because of one mechanical failure or another, I’ve contemplated coasting the vehicle directly into a tree or even off a cliff, because sometimes when the full realization hits, it’s just more fun to watch the world burn.

7 Likes

My hated laptop, a Dell Studio XPS. Every time I call tech support about this they say, “Congratulations! You have one of these rockin’ machines!” No, I tell them, it sucks. I hate this computer. It’s the worst thing ever. I’ve had it several years and I just do not like it at all and it cost me a ton of money. Plus, who’s hauling a $2000 laptop to the coffee shop? Not me. My next computer will be cheap. Very cheap.

5 Likes