Post Your Outdoor Recreation Pics

Nice!
I thought about trying some fishing out there, but the lake is so shallow (maybe 18 ft) and warm (73F when we were swimming) that it didn’t really seem worth it.
Having white oak trees on a sand beach was special. If I’ve ever been in a scene like that before, I didn’t notice or appreciate how cool it is.
Next time I want to bring a snorkel kit. The water is really clear, seems like it would be fun.

11 Likes

Next time, definitely bring the fishing gear! One of my favorite mountain lakes has a max depth of 11 feet and much of the lake is only a few feet deep, but has a great population of big trout.

8 Likes

Just some pics from today’s ride on my usual fun-and-exercise route along the Mississippi. It was an overcast day, though. After I got home, the sky got blue with some puffy white clouds…but my pics from the morning stubbornly remain grey.

:arrow_down: 1. More biking along the Mississippi. Ain’t we got trails in MN?

:arrow_down: 2. Sometimes the trails are made of wood. (This is actually going around a small lake.).

:arrow_down: 3. The trees are definitely made of wood.

:arrow_down: 4. Confluence of the Minnesota River and the Mississippi River, seen from Two Rivers Overlook, St Paul, MN.

15 Likes

Citation needed

13 Likes

My junior high woodshop teacher’s name was Mr. Wood. Checkmate!

13 Likes

Please tell me his first name was Chuck

12 Likes

Maybe? One Did Not Ask Mr. Wood His First Name.

(At least, not if one ever hoped to use the planer again.)

9 Likes

Hope life gets exponentially better on your end, Les!!! ^____^

3 Likes

Just found this thread after returning home an hour ago from our trip to Glacier NP:

Hot Springs, Montana

Coeur d‘Alene, Idaho

Falls Park, Washington

Mt Spokane, Washington

Steptoe Butte State Park, Washington

19 Likes

The bilge plug dropped out somewhere in the 80ft-deep part of the channel. We got it to the dock, and are keeping it from sinking. Outdoor, but not recreation.

12 Likes

When You Realize Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

I hope everything gets fixed soon. Sorry!

8 Likes

Maybe you’re putting the “wreck” in “recreation.”
Only time will tell!
(Glad you’re okay. That sounds stressful.)

10 Likes

Thanks. We refloated it and both bilge plugs are there. So, that’s a bigger problem. Off to the fix-it guy.

8 Likes

Did your doc give you the go-ahead to be in the water yet? I’m picturing that you may have wound up getting wet whether you wanted to or not… :frowning_with_open_mouth:

6 Likes

No clearance. My oldest was on the Seadoo, I was in a boat. So I stayed dry. He spent more time in the water than he’d have liked.

8 Likes

You’re taking the old adage a little TOO literally!

(A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money.)

7 Likes

Dennis Conner once said “If you want to know what it’s like to race in the America’s Cup, stand in a cold shower at tear up $100 bills.”

10 Likes

That is some nice photography!

7 Likes

Thanks, Kii!!! A Chinese friend once told me that “a good swordsman should be able to kill just as easily with a stick as with a sword”, so in the same pseudo-photog spirit I long ago eschewed my Nikon DSLR for whatever flavor of iPhone I can get my grubby hands on when re-up time comes around for the ease of use as well as challenges that force me to shoot unconventionally with surprising results. This iPhone 13 Pro camera setup has some serious power, and worked well for 85% of the shots I took on this trip. ^_____^

7 Likes

Today’s bicycle-recreation-slash-Twin-Cities-tourism post: Back to the same general area in the south part of the Twin CIties, on another overcast day. It was sprinkling lightly when I took today’s featured photos.

Today’s bridge of note: the Mendota Bridge.

It’s long. According to WIkipedia, the total length of the bridge is 4,113 feet (1,254 m). Google converts that to 0.77897727 mile (1.254 kilometers).

It crosses two branches of the Minnesota River, plus the island between them. The view out over the landscape is great—with the curving rivers and the lush trees, it always reminds me of a medieval illuminated manuscript showing some duchy or other—but I need to get some kind of security strap for my phone, so I can hold it out over the railing to get good angles.

:arrow_down: 1. Map

:arrow_down: 2. Starting across from Fort Snelling, looking southeast. It’s straight as can be, but you can’t even see the end of the bridge!

:arrow_down: 3. Midway across (red star on map). Looking east. Minnesota River with Pike
Island on the left, Picnic Island on the right, the eastern shoreline of the river in the distance.

11 Likes