Post Your Outdoor Recreation Pics

That looks like very dense forest on picnic island. But I see a minor road on the map.

7 Likes

Yep, just for recreation on the island—bring a picnic :wink: It’s part of Fort Snelling State Park, so there’s an entry fee to the park for cars, but you can bike there for free. Picnic Island has a picnic shelter and electricity. After your picnic, walk on the trail around the island, or bring your boat and launch it into the river.

In contrast, Pike Island has only the walking trails.

I’m delighted that you looked close, thought about my post, and had a question/comment! :smiley:

9 Likes

Did you wave at my grandparents as you went by Fort Snelling?

8 Likes

I love seeing maps of people’s routes in the cities. My town is so small that if I posted my routes it’d practically be self-doxxing.

10 Likes

I will have to do that!

5 Likes

I keep including my bike in my photos for this topic if I can, so it stays on the theme of recreation. So even though I attempt to be anonymous here, I’m half expecting that someday someone will recognize my bike and tell me they know me from the bbs. Extremely small likelihood, but you never know.

(Tangentially related—One time posting here, I was “@”-ing someone, and someone I know IRL from here’s name popped up as a suggestion—they had used their real name on their account here. But they had only posted once, several years previously.)

9 Likes

I wonder about real names getting used. A newbie came in recently and used his real name. I recognized him because he’s actually a pretty well-known game developer, having worked on some of the most famous games of the last 30 years. Seems nuts to out oneself like that.

9 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if I’ve walked past friends from the bbs while out in the world. Like, I regularly visit a good friend in Minneapolis and we always go cycling and boating, so there’s definitely a chance you and I have biked past each other on one of the twin cities’ wonderful waterside trails!
I also wonder if people I know from work are on here or something. Some of the usernames are pretty close…

10 Likes

WWI vet: he had the right to be buried at Arlington, but they wouldn’t bury his wife there (who died first), so he chose the state equivalent instead.

11 Likes

I often wonder, too. There’s a handful—at least—of people here who’ve said they’re from the Twin CIties, so there are probably more who’ve never mentioned it. At least one, maybe two, have mentioned they live in my neighborhood. I sometimes look at people and wonder, Could that be so-and-so from the bbs? Then again, there are an awful lot of people in the Twin Cities and even in my neighborhood, so the likelihood is small. Could be, though.

I know some Regulars from here have met up IRL over the years. I imagine I might be surprised at what people look like IRL, probably not how I imagine at all!

10 Likes

Pro tip: it’s never a bad idea to mention any upcoming trips if you know you’ll have some free time (in an appropriate thread). If nothing else, you’ll probably get recommendations of what to do/where to go from people who live there, and you might even score a coffee or lunch get-together.

10 Likes

This week I’m scheduled to go camping in Yosemite for the first time in a few years. It’s one of my favorite places on the planet but it seems like every time I get a chance to visit the area nowadays it’s on fire. Climate change sucks.

11 Likes

I went through the same issue when uploading some time lapse video earlier. Here’s the easiest way that I settled on using iTunes on Windows 10 to go to m4v video’s:

Add video “File” to your iTunes library:

video convert

Locate the default “Recently Added” Playlist and locate your file.

video convert 02

Select added file:

video convert 3

Select FIle → Convert → Create iPad or Apple TV Version

video convert 4

Done correctly, iTunes will convert the video file, and then add it to the Recently Add Playlist. Here’s the File tab from the Video Info dialog box:

Here’s the File tab for the converted Video Info dialog box:

Sometimes you’ll get an error saying that it’s the correct format, so in those cases, I suggest re-saving your original file again, and then starting over.

video convert 5

There’s a way to salvage the above situation, but I’m here to give you a quick & dirty way. If you convert using the “Create iPod or iPhone Version” option, you’ll get a lower res output, but that could be advantageous if you want to get under BB’s 8MB size limit. ^____^

6 Likes

Wow, thank you for taking the time to document and explain! That is so nice of you! I love useful information, and I’m sure there are others here who will want to know, too. One question, do I need to have ipad or iphone, though? (I have neither—I think that may be why I didn’t go any further when I was trying to do it before…)

6 Likes

Glad you could use this method! No iPhone or iPad needed for this to work. ^____^

3 Likes

Day 1 of a four-day “workcation” at Stockton Lake, SW MO.

How we make the “work” part possible:

We brought the boats, but it was too dang hot today.

17 Likes

Nice setup!

8 Likes

Decided to bail on Yosemite for Pinnacles National Park where the air is still transparent. Saw a couple California Condors but too far to get decent pics.

17 Likes

Good call. How was it? Your pictures are cool!

7 Likes

Hot but scenic, lots of critters in the area. One of the cave trails we wanted to try was closed due to bat occupation but we’re hoping to see another one tomorrow morning.

10 Likes