Post Your Outdoor Recreation Pics

Nashville, outside the brewpub.

15 Likes

used to go there with family when i was a kid (70s). there would be many sand dollar shells on the beach and entire shoals of living sand dollar urchins out in the surf, beyond the lowest tide.
alas, they are all gone these days. bittersweet to consider and your pic brings up some fond memories of South Padre Island and i am 12 years old again…

11 Likes

We were at the very beginning of Little Shell beach. The sand was well packed, but we don’t have 4WD and the kid was getting very impatient to get out of the car. Park authorities said you really should have 4WD to go all the way to Big Shell.
The kid seems happy with the little shells we found. She has a new digital microscope and is looking forward to examining them.
No sand dollars :pensive: they seem to still be around, we just didn’t find any.

9 Likes

Mill Creek trail next to the Mall of GA, while visiting a friend last week. Lots of trails literally crossing under highway intersections, but still pretty peaceful.

14 Likes

On the trail run this morning, as the sun was cresting the top of the forest. I wasn’t quick enough to catch a picture of the deer. But the water and forest are slow enough for me.

13 Likes

Just thought I’d bring you along for this morning’s forest bathing experience, about an hour away by bike from where I live:

And on the way home, let’s pause our ride to take in a view of the Mississippi River from the St Paul side, with downtown Minneapolis on the horizon:

After we get home, it’s blueberry oatmilk smoothies all around! :blueberries:

13 Likes

A beautiful sunrise this morning.

10 Likes

Indian pipes, seen while hiking on the slopes of Mt. Mitchell, NC

13 Likes

Edible (more than once)?

5 Likes

Well its also called ghost plant, corpse plant, convulsion root, so you go first

10 Likes

Others have?

In addition to various reported medical uses, the plant has been used as an anxiolytic in herbal medicine since the late 19th century.

Despite possibly being toxic, the entire plant can be cooked, which lends it an asparagus-like flavor.

6 Likes

ryan reynolds hd GIF

4 Likes

For your crudités, obviously :joy:

7 Likes

Foggy this morning.

And later on, a turtle trying to imitate a chicken. I scooted it into the bushes.

13 Likes

TEN YEARS LATER…

:notes: Ding Dong :notes:

Les_Pane: Hello—? [looks down at doormat]

Turtle: What the hell did you do that for?

13 Likes

“I didn’t know why you tried to cross the road.”

9 Likes

It was just cool enough this morning to make a drive north and enjoy the Hollywood Reservoir and Mulholland Dam. Saw four deer, three young does and a young buck (who had about four inches of antlers). Didn’t take a photo because I respect their privacy. (Definitely used to humans, though.)

Hazy in the basin today.

Are those bears on the dam? Or dogs? Any LA-area mutants know?

12 Likes

My guess is bears, like on the flag

11 Likes

Those are bears.

There’s an interesting/tragic story for why the area around the Mulholland Dam has so much natural scenery; it was almost identical to the design of the St. Francis dam which failed catastrophically in 1928 and caused a flood that took the lives of 431 people. Understandably the people of Hollywood were suddenly a lot less keen on entrusting their lives to Mr. Mulholland’s dam after they saw what happened to their counterparts farther north and started petitioning to have the remaining dam dismantled. As a compromise the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power permanently lowered the water level far below its original design capacity so it now is basically just a scenic lake rather than a reservoir (good for nature, less useful for human use). They also backfilled the area south of the buttress with soil and vegetation so the dam itself is largely hidden from view.

12 Likes

& @Brainspore & @subextraordinaire

I look forward to the Tarantino sequel, Reservoir Bears.

11 Likes