Post Your Outdoor Recreation Pics

Thank you, @Brainspore!

I looked everywhere online and couldn’t find anything with Duck Duck Go, so I thought there must be someone in BoingBoing world who knows so I don’t have to try Google (being lazy). Like @Kii, I thought it was an reference to our flag.

@DukeTrout, I think a Disney animated film “Beargoyles”?

7 Likes

Are you saying it took the turtle ten years to find a friend tall enough to ring the doorbell?

7 Likes

It’s turtles all the way up.

Christian Bale Nodding GIF

10 Likes

Sounds more like a mashup of late 1980s/mid-1990s animated TV series to me. (Fun Fact: veteran voice actor Jim Cummings was one of the few people involved in both Disney’s Gargoyles and The Adventures of the Gummi Bears.)

9 Likes

A beautiful day on the water. The river was about 3 feet low from its normal stage, so it was like a completely different waterway. Old rapids gone, new tough ones emerged.

And new trash to find.

12 Likes

so cool! wonder what that was?
the mum would excitedly whip that into one of her sculptures!
good on ya for helping to clean up, too!

5 Likes

I think it’s this:

Expensive thing to lose.

With the river so low, lots of extra weird trash. We had a bad tornado a few years ago, so I’m seeing more siding and room shingles. I usually bring a mesh bag with me, because there’s always something. But it’s usually bottles, cans, styrofoam, and plastic bottles with hooks and line.

The river will be back up by this evening, according to the app that tracks this stuff.

ETA: the thing in action.

9 Likes

OOHHH!

It looked to me like a miniature fence post digger, and I thought perhaps it was how you were digging port-a-potty holes for yourself (leave no trace).

But the Hobie product makes a lot more sense than dragging around a large metal device when a simple trowel would be sufficient.

8 Likes

Those are really expensive. If it’s repairable, it would be worth a lot. Hobie sells mirage-compatible kayaks that those can fit in.

7 Likes

A couple pics from a new campsite at my favorite campground in the state:

This is the place where the tide goes up and down over 20 feet per cycle.
The big rock to the left in the top photo was the perfect sitting rock.
This was probably our last trip up there this year. :frowning:

15 Likes

I discovered that after getting home. I had left it against a trash can on the boat ramp, and when I went back an hour later and it was gone. Ah well. Hopefully someone will get good use out of it. It was in pretty sorry shape.

5 Likes

Bay of Fundy?

5 Likes

Sunrise over the river:

Rosemary hedges are blooming a bit:

12 Likes

The Olympic National Park was not what I had pictured in my imagination for a “Rain Forest”, but what a treat for the eyes it was. With it being so close to Seattle, we will have to return again soon. Squeezing more power from the iPhone came at a cost this time, and after intentionally dipping half the phone into a fresh water stream, then having it along with the selfie stick tripod fall into the ocean as I comically dove headfirst to retrieve the camera like a batter going for first base on a rocky beach, so the speakers sound tinny and now my iPhone is gaslighting me with variable volume that makes me feel like I’m losing my hearing.

14 Likes

Gorgeous!

8 Likes

A nice trail run this morning. I go at around the same time every week–6am. So it’s getting progressively darker. This makes it harder to see the spiderwebs. So this morning I saw one across the trail at shin-level and stopped to remove it. No fooling me! I started up again and two steps in ran face-first into a huge web that wrapped around my entire head, covering my face. I yelped like a little kid.

I also saw the first live armadillo I think I’ve ever seen. The joke around here is that there aren’t live armadillos–they’re born dead on the sides of roads.

He looks a bit like a cockroach, but he was full-sized, sitting up looking at me before scurrying away.

And some overcast sunrise over the lake along the trail:

13 Likes

River stuff

14 Likes

Spectacular.

6 Likes

I once saw two baby armadillos on the side of the road on my street, alive before they scurried off into the trees…

9 Likes

Took the doggos for a bike run this morning. Two miles each. The black lab is a sprinter, hitting 25 mph at some points, then dropping off to a walk for the second half. The white lab is a pacer, at a steady 8-9 mph the whole way. So I have to take them separately.

15 Likes