Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

These were taken of my backyard during a snowstorm.
I think it is either an owl or a peregrine falcon. But I am not really sure. I know its a raptor of some kind by the talons and beak. But I don’t know what kinds one would see in Central NJ.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?
(and in the spirit of this thread, preferably attach a cool picture of one)

16 Likes

Looks like a Coopers Hawk.

They hang out by my bird feeder regularly.

Example from Audubon society

Nice picture by the way!

13 Likes

We refer to ours as our Cooper’s Hawk feeder.

Possibly Sharp-shinned, but the shins do look more like a Cooper’s to me.

https://www.audubon.org/news/a-beginners-guide-iding-coopers-and-sharp-shinned-hawks

Hah, no, just very, very cold.

7 Likes

Last summer, I looked out at the bird feeder in my back yard and all was normal. Five minutes later, I looked out and it was surrounded by feathers.

6 Likes

Birds wait their turn while the tree-rat eats his fill. The squirrels had figured out that they could unscrew the feeder from its mount, allowing it to crash to the ground. I’ve had to add a lynchpin to stop it from swiveling. Crafty buggers.

10 Likes
6 Likes

(man, Discourse hates gifs)

2 Likes

Got to put Vaseline on the post. That will stop them (and they are sufficiently humiliated).

3 Likes
5 Likes

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but the post with the green nut feeder and the suet is about 10 feet closer than the large seed feeder that the squirrel is hogging. The squirrel baffle does a decent job on the post.

The large feeder is attached to the small shed. I didnt bother moving the feeder because I’m demolishing the shed in the spring.

3 Likes

Napping continues, unabated.

13 Likes

My brother’s cat, whom I’m taking care of this week while in home office, was napping next to me during a conference call. She did this in the exact moment I was rolling my eyes really hard at something stupid a coworker said:

This is what she normally looks like, btw. She has such dainty features, with her black mouth and eye outline, it’s like she’s wearing make-up.

She also makes great indignant faces:

20 Likes

Naps Part III

Our house is actually reasonably well designed for Tucson, and we rarely have direct sunlight come through the windows save deep winter, much to the sorrow of our cats. It’s so precious they politely take turns:

18 Likes

String and a bin: Other Cat indulges in two cat magnets at once.

16 Likes

Thanks. I just got lucky with being at the right place at the right time. Done with a smart phone from 30’ away

5 Likes

Baby peacocks.

17 Likes

The ugly duckling says haters gonna hate.

14 Likes

Peachicks!

And Peahens. I don’t know what they call a female Cock-of-the-rock though.

6 Likes

Leaves of Grass.

14 Likes

Thank you!

Obrigado!

3 Likes