Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

Ambitious spider builds her web across the driveway every night. The not-sticky supporting strand of spider silk holding the web on the left stretches around 6 or 7 ft (ca. 2 m) to a small tree.

19 Likes

That’s awesome. She’s awesome!

12 Likes

really nice photo!

11 Likes

[Obligatory Far Side Cartoon]

8 Likes

I had that one on my desk for years!

3 Likes

Not well focussed, but too good not to share.

16 Likes

A praying mantis on the bolted basil.

Late summer is cool bug season this year. Praying mantises are cool bugs. They move their heads while they track you, and unlike most other insects, they give the impression that they are looking back at you, sizing you up, like little aliens.

18 Likes

What makes you think they arent?
tenor (1)

15 Likes
10 Likes

I’m glad that this individual cat has a person who does right by him, and I also cringe that the poor beastie is an example of what happens when animals are bred for odd traits.

10 Likes

Well, the skin is due to that, but I think the eyes are a result of ulcers in his eyes? I don’t know if that’s a common problems with this breed of cat or not?

8 Likes

A cursory search on Sphinx cats didn’t indicate that they are particularly prone to eye ulcers, so this kitty had some bad luck losing both its eyes to them and some good luck to have his good person.

But the online info about the breed is conflicting IMHO, saying that they’re a sturdy breed, but then going into the special care they need (protection from sun and extreme temperatures, needing weekly baths to prevent skin irritations/infections).

And in general, animal breeds created to have exaggerated characteristics end up having health problems because of those same characteristics. Once breed standards are codified, what started as breeding for function becomes breeding for fashion. Squashed faces (pugs, bulldogs, Persian cats) causing breathing and eye problems. Excessive wrinkled skin (sharpei dogs, Sphinx cats) causing skin infections. “Low rider” body of short legs on an elongated body (Dachshunds, Bassett hounds, those internet-famous kitties) making them prone to spinal injury. And so on…

7 Likes

not my pet, but my neighbor’s African “dragon” tortoise:

15 Likes

Wow, looks very, very familiar.

It’s a surprising match because of the match in size (it’s a very intermediate size for a Sulcata) and the shell pyramiding, both of which are uncommon.

17 Likes

A monarch left us a surprise. I’ve found 8 so far.

16 Likes

after Sally soaked our little island over the weekend, these hungry fellers came around wanting some peanuts:

but someone else was also hungry!

errbody eats when they come to my house!

20 Likes

19 Likes

long kitty is looong!

8 Likes
9 Likes

Carpenter bee

Wings in the sun

Bee butt

20 Likes