Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

I really like the bird photos! I do cats because of availability and my own personal obsession. You’ll see bees come spring. But variety is good. Keep posting birds please

14 Likes

We’re lucky enough to live along Melbourne’s major river corridor, one of several “green wedges” where it’s all farmland and nature reserves, about 15km from the CBD, so getting up close and personal with native wildlife is routine. Routine, but it never gets old.

15 Likes

Mona gets some garden time.

And Strawberry Sunday.

21 Likes

“Your jeans are almost the correct colour.”

23 Likes

Back by popular demand: The birds of the @MrShiv backyard!

Now posing for their album cover:

DERP!

We call these doves “dum-dums” because of their tiny heads:

House finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) and white-breasted nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis):

Dark-eyed juncos (Junco hyemalis) raiding the squirrel feeder. These handsome birds only seem to show up when it’s snowing.

21 Likes

Nice bluebirds! Those are still a special treat around here. The rest of your characters are common visitors, though. Those and the tufted titmouse, cardinal, and finally the red breasted nuthatch has dared visit our feeder again this year after a couple years’ break. So nice to have them back.
Nice feeders, too!

12 Likes

Interesting: we have most of those locally, but the bluebirds, juncos and nuthatch only when you get about 2/3rds of the way up Mt. Lemmon.

11 Likes

Squirrels! Squirrels!! SQUIRRELS!!! :chipmunk: :chipmunk: :chipmunk: :chipmunk: :chipmunk: :chipmunk:

squirrel GIF

20 Likes
14 Likes

LOL

15 Likes

Nori: “L’Imbecile also-tabby. Sigh.”

23 Likes

When you’re comfy, you’re comfy!

9 Likes

Poor little birb kept flitting about. I suspect she was looking for a branch without ice. I wanted to tell her there were some live oaks 20 ft away that should be ice free in the middle and out of the wind.

16 Likes

Mona broke out of her enclosure, again (she can shove aside concrete blocks now). I found her sadly munching on a picture of fresh vegetables from a grocery store flyer that had blown into our yard.

And she’s broken out again. Going to get some diced squash out of the fridge.

22 Likes

Never thought of tortoises as very expressive*, but Mona looks quite forlorn!

*probably from lack of exposure

12 Likes

No pics yet, but we’re half way through the window of the great backyard bird count:

If you haven’t done it before, you should try. It’s fun,
This year we set the camera up focused on a feeder. Getting some good pics I’ll post later. 🪶

15 Likes

I tried to understand how the app works, but I failed. I saw the usual birds, but I couldn´t take a decent picture too.

6 Likes

I’ve never tried the app. We usually each pick a different window to look out and make notes, then go and enter everything on the website. It’s very curmudgeonly of me, but I kind of hate apps. What’s wrong with a plain old website, I want to know?!? Now get off my lawn! (Unless you’re a bird).

13 Likes

I’m trying to do the GBBC, but all I see are the fat bakery birds that live in the greenspaces behind the street here (aka house sparrows) and it’s too cold to run downstairs and outside to try to get a picture. I have one from last month, though.

I downloaded the Merlin bird ID app from Cornell Labs, and aside from having to register, it’s been really easy to use. I’m a beginner, so the bird id is really helpful - I have an Audubon app, too, but it expects you to know more about the birds than how big and what color, which is my level of birding. I can identify a robin, a bald eagle, a pigeon, and now a sparrow (which for 20 years I thought were wrens.

10 Likes

It starts small and then…

9 Likes