Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

OK, last set.

Male snowy egret doing a breeding display.

Black-crowned night heron preening.

Snowy egret preening.

Ankle-biter.

Watching over the little ones.

13 Likes

The previous was my last set, but here’s one more as a non-set post because it came out pretty well.

16 Likes

Yes, I’m a thread hog.

Maxfield Parrish’s 1921 “Hedgehog Break” is regarded as one of the most popular hedgehog art prints of the 20th century. Parrish later produced the human-centric “Daybreak,” which went on to even greater fame, though he always considered this work’s composition and symbolism as more powerful.

11 Likes

Vincent van Gogh’s “Irises and Also a Hedgehog” is an immediately striking painting, created in the last year before his death in 1890. He considered this painting a study, which the later more famous hedgehog-less painting was based on.

17 Likes

Manny Pearl is growing up to be a handsome dude. He’s white with pearl gray, and a prominent nose. I’m a fan of strong noses in cats as well as people. Check out the ear floof, though. It slays me.

He’s a bouncy little man, and has killed his first mouse. (Iris did give it to him mostly already-dead, but that’s how baby kittens learn, I guess.) It leaves me surprised that this is in the carport. All four cats can get to this location, but the they haven’t reigned down destruction, yet:

17 Likes

Jacques-Louis David’s 1786 “The Discomfort of Socrates” details the event of the initial cup of hedgehog handed to Socrates, because the jailer misheard “hemlock.” David masterfully rendered the awkwardness of the cup being handed over.

18 Likes

Socrates: Behold, o Glaucon, we have found the Form of Awkwardness.

4 Likes

Is there anything PPP can’t improve?

6 Likes

When I saw this I knew just where to take it.

I really hope this is a true thing.

17 Likes

Yes, Edvard Munch’s The Scream.

4 Likes

20 Likes

Everyone gets likes on this thread!!! Thanks for the happiness everyone!

14 Likes

Last night as I came home I found a slug on our door step. At least 10cm long, probably longer. WHY ARE SLUGS SO LARGE AND GROSS! And can i borrow Princess for an evening?

10 Likes

Do not move to the Pacific Northwest.

12 Likes

If you’re even in Austin you can certainly borrow her (or at least visit), though Her Highness is a very picky eater who isn’t going to help you with bugs. We struggled to try to get her to hunt crickets/mealworms/etc. She was uninterested. Dry kibble is all she’s interested in (except she ate some cooked egg white once, and has licked chocolate when we were off guard).

6 Likes

Do you know how sad I was that I didn’t find any banana slugs when I was in Santa Cruz? I was searching, really hoping to see some.

7 Likes

Did you get into the redwoods at all? They become more prominent in the foothills East and North of SC. (Boulder Creek, Felton, La Honda, Sam McDonald park has tons.) I have seen them on the UC campus, usually after a rain.

3 Likes

It’s Towel Day, y’all.

Sirius knows where hers is.

@nemomen - Do hedgies observe the holiday?

22 Likes

I hiked a bit around the hills to the north, but it was pretty dry when I was there. Only had half a day to poke around, alas.

Hedgehogs have a natural antipathy to towels due to their association with baths, alas, though the humans observe the holiday.

6 Likes

When elected Her Highness will ban all remakes of Point Break by Executive Order until legislation can be passed.

15 Likes