(Potentially) Unpopular Opinions, Jinxes, and Horcruxes Thread

Same people buying 1000 year old eggs. Someone whos got some friends coming round and wants a laugh.

4 Likes

This is the unpopular opinion thread, mister.

And I agree with @Espresso on this one. :wink: Red is only good for cooking.

2 Likes

Unpopular opinions, remember?

There are, however, just as many crappy whites as there are crappy reds, and I will definitely take a good red over a crappy white any day.

6 Likes

I’m with you on that. Wine? Love it. Hard liquor? OK, it’s interesting. Beer? No thanks.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far, but de gustibus and all that…

1 Like

Related to @nimelennar 's post: it’s good to be outside in a storm.

When the edge of my rain hood is snapping like a lifeboat tarp in a gale, things are just getting good. I love it. The feeling is vitality.

8 Likes

Wine?

The extra expense to buy wine in a bottle or with a label isn’t worth it.
There are plenty of nice wines in cardboard boxes or sold as cleanskins around so there’s just no need to spend $30 on a bottle.

5 Likes

While I think it’s sad when I hear about anyone dying of brain cancer, I just could never get into the Tragically Hip.

2 Likes

They’re happy to hear that since they’d prefer not to be eaten.

1 Like

I like fruitcake!

I’ve never gotten the fruitcake hate. Maybe folks have had bad fruitcake, or their uncle always soaked it in lousy whiskey or something.

18 Likes

People don’t like fruitcake??? But that’s the best kind of cake (except perhaps Battenberg).

Related: fondant icing is great, and frosting is rubbish.

2 Likes

Every Christmas I read Truman Capote’s A Christmas Memory. I challenge anyone to read that story and not want one of those fruitcakes he and his cousin made.

3 Likes

Yes!! Or even watch the hard-to-find PBS movie of it with Geraldine Page, which was a Christmas tradition in my family. My mom still says “It’s fruitcake weather!”.

2 Likes

The whole idea of fruitcake is that it’s bacteriostatic because of being soaked in 80 proof spirits, yes? For me, the alcohol just gives it a bitter taste. But, as you said, maybe I’ve just had fruitcake made with cheap booze.

Still, I can’t imagine any fruitcake besting my springerle, lebkuchen, and marzipan stollen.

4 Likes

I actually never had booze-soaked fruitcake until very recently. I actually prefer it without. The rum/bourbon kind of overwhelms it.

2 Likes

20:1 there’s a fruitcake recipe out there that calls for bourbon and bacon.

(Literally thirty seconds later:) Yuuuuuuuuup.

12 Likes

The pretentiousness of Moleskines follows a similar curve to the pretentiousness of Starbucks, and much like Starbucks it has universally elevated something that used to be cheap crap unless you made it yourself.

ETA: And I pronounce it Mole. Skin. Not Mole-ESS-skeenah. Not mole-SKYNE. There is no official pronunciation because the name is psuedo-European. I’d rather assume it came bound in the hide of a smelly backyard pest.

12 Likes

What chance @japhroaig has made it?

5 Likes

There is probably a whole dissertation waiting to be written on that topic.

9 Likes

I like living in Florida.

9 Likes