Pranksters inscribe giant penis in lawn ahead of King Charles coronation

summer glau battle GIF by Knights of Badassdom

6 Likes

They may have been going for accuracy. After all, it’s well known that one ball hangs lower.

1 Like

I am reminded of the time a departing sixth-former wrote “Stuff Stan” in weedkiller on the cricket pitch in front of the school. “Stanley” being the forename of the Principal.

1 Like

That’s precisely how I feel when I see it. “Really? We’re still taking this seriously?”

I think most Canadians feel this way about it, but the CBC insists on insufferably covering it as though people care (because officially Canadians are supposed to care, and that random old British git is going to be on our money someday so I guess we should know who he is).

8 Likes

Reminds me of the observation (from Ireland) that “Next door, there are a bunch of clowns running things. And it’s not just that clowns are creepy, it’s the fact that a clown killed your grandfather.”

7 Likes

I can’t find the original source, but that seems to be from a column by Fintan O’Toole in the Irish Times.

Having a monarchy next door is a little like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and has daubed their house with clown murals, displays clown dolls in each window and has an insatiable desire to hear about and discuss clown-related news stories.

More specifically, for the Irish, it’s like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and, also, your grandfather was murdered by a clown.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scotland/comments/mo1swx/the_irish_times_having_a_monarchy_next_door_is_a/

5 Likes

Here in the US, too. I caught a few minutes of some of the coverage (other human in the house thinks it’s all great), and one of the reporters said, “We’re witnessing history here today.” I just thought, “OMG, no, we’re NOT!” There’s absolutely nothing historic about this. Not one thing. Unless they abolish the monarchy and Charles ends up being the last King of EnglandWhoFuckingCares, but I doubt that’s going to happen, and it’s definitely not what the reporter meant.

7 Likes

Point of pedantry: the last King of England, William III, died in 1702. (He was also the last King of Scots, as William II.) He was succeeded by the last Queen of England / last Queen of Scots, Anne, who in 1707 became the first Queen of Great Britain.

1 Like

That is disputed

(I never said it was a plausible claim)

7 Likes

Since the existence of Charlie and company account for a sizeable percentage of England’s tourism economy, cold-blooded pragmatists will continue to team up with die-hard royalists in propping them up. (Brit tabloids would also be very sorry to see them go; bad royal news sells.) Otherwise, imagine Florida without Walt Disney World. How else to explain this:

2 Likes

How much money does France make from the Palace of Versailles and the French Revolution(s) tourists?

9 Likes

I think I sense a future tourist opportunity with only a few low hurdles to deal with first… :thinking:

7 Likes

I don’t know. Let’s see if Eric Idle knows… NOPE! But here he is anyway:

5 Likes

Not too low. Gallows are high so that everyone has a good view.

I’m kidding of course. The ongoing scandals and family squabbles are much more entertaining than a row of heads on pikes in front of Buckingham Palace.

3 Likes

It would be beneath me to say “for now”…

3 Likes

I’m not saying we shouldn’t revisit the question periodically.

2 Likes

McCarthy said we should go after the ‘Hacks from The Sun’ as well.

That’s a simpler issue. No need for a cost-benefit analysis.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.