Pre-mutated products: where did all those "hoverboards" come from?

It just peeves me, anyone who is planning on buying one of these things should think about how they would use it:

Should you Buy or not list-

1. If buying for necessary transport over a distance that is a mile plus: Learn to ride a bike nub
Verdict: DO NOT BUY (Edit- #3’s verdict now applies)
2. If buying for necessary transport under a mile: Tried walking? Taking the Bus? Do you live in the U.S. where sidewalks do not exist? IT DOESN’T MATTER BECAUSE IT’S NOT STREET LEGAL! (To be fair I guess it falls under the same category as bikes, but in that case why waste the electricity? Just ride a bike.)
Verdict: DO NOT BUY (Edit- #3’s verdict now applies)
3. If buying for fun (The office, Home, Present): Fuck it, I give up. You just go ahead and do whatever the fuck you already were going to.
Verdict: You want to waste electricity and expand your manufacturing carbon footprint while huffing about your tesIa? Go for it, I’ve decided I don’t give a flying fuck because I’m not going to do jack shit to change your mind.

1 Like

I see considerable usefulness in e.g. warehouses. Lots of short distance walking that adds up.

…and walking is overrated and buses suck.

3 Likes

…I should reenable the gif blocker…

3 Likes

Oh one more thing that comes to mind whenever I see one of these hoverboards

The hate, it’s amusing! :smiley:
(Sorry, no condescending gif to add.)

1 Like

Had a bad day today, decided to take it out on (via?) the BBS… I’ll probably regret this all in a day or two and delete everything.

1 Like

Even grumpy opinions can be valid. Or at least fun.
Bad days happen.
:tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink:

1 Like

l-lets just add some :kissing::ok_hand::fire::maple_leaf: and f-ffew* moore “Burp” glllasses onto t-that annnd w-we’ll be Spot o-on to w-where I am rrrright aboout n-now!

1 Like

only fine when balanced with

Good days happen.

: )

2 Likes

Very true. Too bad good days tend to be somewhat rare…

2 Likes

One side effect of the mad dash to produce whatever is in demand, at the moment, with no regard for the company being around to support the product:

2 Likes

I don’t know if the Heelies craze hit your area (tennis shoes with wheels), but once they spread, a lot of places banned them because the kids were going so fast and out of control. I never heard of anyone getting hurt; I think it was more annoying to adults.

My daughter loved them, and I didn’t realize she was wearing them when we visited the Guggenheim - but we got a lot of bad looks from the guards that day. However, that was probably the most fun any kid ever had at the Guggenheim!

4 Likes

It seems like an obviously artificial demand to me. Something that lots of people decided to simultaneously flood the markets with.

Thought. Buy the thing, ditch the built-in charger, use a microprocessor controlled charger for e.g. airplane/car model people. These are pretty flexible and pretty good. Their input is usually capped at 18 volts and then they complain, but a few serial silicon diodes can drop the voltage by a volt or two (0.7 volts a piece, I use three, with a bypass switch) and then you can feed the charger from a laptop power brick, assuming a matching connector that you can hack in.

Umm…

That is inherent to anything that uses high-power Li-ion cells. These are the components prone to what the manufacturers call “rapid spontaneous disassembly” in case of thermal runaway.

This will pass as better, more stable battery chemistries with possibly even higher energy density and almost certainly way faster charging replace lithium with cobalt oxide electrodes.

Just give it time, perhaps few years.

1 Like

This caught my eye the other day.

During the Tianjin catastrophe, fire fighters did not know how to deal with a fire caused by a chemical explosion. And for the first 10 hours after the explosion, the most influential local TV station still broadcast soap operas; not a mention was made of fatalities.

The Chinese authorities have learned nothing from these frequent accidents. The only government competence on show is with information control: hiding facts, forbidding media reporting and rapidly closing social media accounts suspected of spreading “rumors.” The government’s instructions are always described as “brilliant” and the victims’ families are always “emotionally stable.” Each disaster becomes an occasion for government self-congratulation. Meanwhile, lessons go unlearned and responsibility unclaimed.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.