Prepare to again "avoid the Noid" now that Domino's has an autonomous pizza delivery vehicle

Originally published at: Prepare to again "avoid the Noid" now that Domino's has an autonomous pizza delivery vehicle | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I’ll always prefer a human driver; that’s why I only call “Uncle Enzo” when I want my pizza.

9 Likes

Not going to fly around my house. There’s a subdivision across the street where it would work, but that little car would have to pull out of it into 50 mph traffic and somehow claw it’s way up my steep driveway if/when it makes it here. But I suppose this is the eventual future and we need to get used to seeing these critters around where it’s useful and can work.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Hopefully they won’t have a repeat of Kenneth Lamar Noid

3 Likes

Domino’s Pizza? Pizza in name only. Fact!

5 Likes

IIRC: A “NOID” was a person attempting to pay for a pizza with a check and “NO ID”

1 Like

So I would have to put on shoes and go out to the curb, maybe half a block away if parking is awkward or I Iive in a large apartment complex or high rise, perhaps in bad weather, and fool around with locked compartments in pouring rain to get at my pizza rather than have someone come up to my door and hand it to me?

I walk with a cane, that and carrying a load of hot pizzas up a flight of steps seems just so delightful.

Oh and playing the ever so fun game of “Where the **** is the stupid delivery drone vehicle? I don’t see it anywhere!” while arguing with someone on the phone that their GPS claims it is “right outside”.

I’d just as soon heat up a frozen pizza than do all that nonsense.

Hard Pass.

This is on a par with the failed “cook your own steak” places one used to see. If I wanted to work I wouldn’t be ordering delivery.

3 Likes

I wonder how much access people have to other customers food.

1 Like

For a moment I thought you said Kendrick Lamar Noid and got excited for some kind of fun meme but my hopes were quickly dashed by another tale of how we fail to support people with mental health issues.

R2 is fully licensed, registered, and insured to operate on public roads in each of the states where we operate. It is the first-ever self-driving vehicle to receive an approved exemption from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. See NHTSA’s exemption approval. Nuro was the first company to be granted a commercial deployment permit by the State of California, and we comply with applicable regulations for autonomous vehicle operations in each of our operating locations.
The link to the NHTSA’s exemption approval is dead, so we’re off to a good start. (Probably findable with a little digging, but still…)

Our team spends significant time mapping out neighborhoods and testing our vehicles, and we use Priuses to help. Autonomous vehicles are released when a neighborhood has been fully mapped and tested.
Yup, fully autonomous, then… Expect to wait a bit for your pizza, though.
Also, what happens when anything changes after the mapping, in other words when reality fails to comply with its digital model?

Our cameras and sensors are able to see both small children and pets.
I take it this implies that the R2 will stop (or take evasive action) when it “sees” a small child or a pat instead of pursuing them. And that this also works with non-small childs and grannies and what have you.

1 Like

I saw that episode of Black Mirror with the autonomous pizza delivery van. It hit a pedestrian and its camera was out, so the insurance investigator had to scan the memories of all the witnesses to try to resolve the insurance claim. (It didn’t work out well for anyone involved) Let’s hope the camera systems on this can work a bit more reliably.

2 Likes

These hurdles (and the risk of traffic accidents) are reasons why some firms are researching drone delivery. Solutions like this won’t make it to the door, and the “last 50 feet” are the most important to some customers. Here’s more on alternatives in development:

https://www.smart-industry.net/logistics-automating-the-last-50-feet/

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.