Prescient Pratchett Predicts Principled Print Problems

7 Likes

When I first saw this headline, for half a second, I thought it said ā€œPresident Pratchettā€ and I nearly dissolved into messy tears, thinking Iā€™d finally gotten to the smart timelineā€¦

This is good, too, though.

14 Likes

11 Likes

Me fucking too! But weā€™re stuck here, in this stupid timelineā€¦

7 Likes
5 Likes

I feel the same way whenever I read Jasper Ffordeā€™s Thursday Next novels, because I want to live in the timeline where George Formby is the President of the UK. President Pterry has a ring to it though.

4 Likes

I am not so sure about a Jack Schitt run version of the world, though.

@Mindysan33, Terry was so clever, wasnā€™t he?
As was Douglas. Both are missed.

(Fforde is quite good, but Iā€™m still waiting for Shades of Grey pt.2, and havenā€™t had a discovery like him in years.
Any serious suggestions, anyone?)

4 Likes

You could try:

or:

http://jonnynexus.com/2019/03/25/game-night-a-relaunch-for-the-streaming-era/

Jonny has (sadly too few) works in similar veins.

I misread a review a couple of months ago and spent a few blissful hours thinking Shades 2 had been released and Iā€™d missed it, before realizing it hadnā€™t and wonā€™t be for some time. Ffordeā€™s work ethic seems more at the Pratchett end than Douglas Adams, but heā€™s apparently committed to new books in a number of series at the same time.

Jane Rawsonā€™s ā€œWrong Turn at the Office of Unmade Listsā€ is gently surreal, in a ā€œFforde-meets-magical-realismā€ kind of way.

1 Like

In Bill Gatesā€™s defence, he was not wrong either. We really can check our sources in a way that usednā€™t to be possible. Yes, we used to have gatekeepers, but for all that they kept anti-vaxxers and nazis off the air, they also knowingly raised a lot of colorful frauds and hucksters from obscurity. Turmp would be a notable example.

The thing Bill Gates wasnā€™t cynical enough to see, but Terry Pratchett was, is that the general public doesnā€™t base its esteem on credentials to begin with, so empowering them to do their own research makes no difference. A large part of the population is trained that if they see something on a screen, by definition, that is what they believe. I think this is much truer of pre-computer generations, and things will gradually improve for that reason; it might actually be that Gates sounds like the more sensible one by 2049.

I wouldnā€™t think that many readers would agree to the description of Pratchett as cynical.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.