President Biden holds his own — for the most part — during his D.C. press conference

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/11/president-biden-holds-his-own-for-the-most-part-during-his-d-c-press-conference.html

9 Likes

And this is all the news is talking about as if people don’t get words jumbled like this from time to time. It’s quite obvious he knows who his VP is and just flubbed his words. Big fucking deal.

Not like Trump who confused Nikki Haley with Nancy Pelosi multiple times in the same rally speech.

16 Likes

Agree - though the magnifying glass is on him and the recent Zelensky-Putin gaffe did him no favors.

Yikes.

5 Likes

He still calls his wife Jill.

T**** called his wife “Melenie” and confused his rape victim with his ex-wife in court.

Cillian Murphy No GIF by ARTEfr

16 Likes

Yeah, I wake up and the first thing I see is that the German media is using that gaffe as their leading headline. What makes it so cringeworthy is that Joe was famed for decades for making those sorts of gaffes. But now it’s a sign that he’s losing it? UGH. :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Right? He’s been long known as a gaffe machine. I’ll still take him misspeaking or jumbling words over anything Trump says. Biden may mess up words but I know what he’s trying to say. Trump just spouts incoherent nonsense and what is coherent is fucking awful.

9 Likes

He showed a masterful grasp of foreign policy- which was the subject after the NATO summit. And made a case for his excellent and effective economic policies.

If you want substance- he delivered.

16 Likes

He’s been making mistakes like that his whole life. It’s almost part of his “folksy shtick” by now.
This is the important part, though:

As long as he can do this, we are good.

21 Likes

Now the chin-stroking pundits will explain that Biden should stand aside because he’s stressed by the demands for him to stand aside.

9 Likes

The more time goes on, the more I think Biden could have nipped this ageist line of attack in the bud by accepting Trump’s challenge of a round of golf by responding something like:

“I would love to play a round of golf with Donald, right after we finish a 10 mile bike ride together. 10 mile bike ride, immediately followed by 18 holes of golf. No carts, no caddies. Pick the time and place, Donny. We’ll televise it live.”

Then regularly bring it up. At press conferences, in his intro statement at the debates. Whenever a reporter implies he’s too old.

Because we all know Little Indicted Donny would never accept the challenge. If the bike ride didn’t kill him, lugging his own clubs around would.

While it wouldn’t satisfy the “too old” crowd, it would give Biden something easy to deflect to: “If I’m old and frail, why hasn’t Drumpf accepted my offer?”

I know it’s just fan-fiction, but sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

8 Likes
5 Likes

Via Francis Maxwell:

If you think it’s crazy #Biden called Zelenskyy Putin, wait till you hear about the time he got his doctors name wrong, confused Nikki Haley with Nancy Pelosi and said Viktor Orban was the leader of Turkey…

Wait, that was Trump.

Morons and hypocrites everywhere.

10 Likes

To me that’s beneath the dignity of the office and feels too much like that Bojack Horseman episode where the governorship of California gets determined by a ski race, but to each their own.

2 Likes

Not sure Biden would make a 10 mile bike ride either. https://youtu.be/a2lSdXKjiSk?si=iZPbsA5JI9ZPyNDT
Joe Biden Falling GIF by GIPHY News

1 Like

Maybe 100 miles, then? His only problem in that video was when he stopped.

9 Likes

CNN just asked the PRIME MINISTER of Great Britain if he thinks Biden is too old. FFS.

8 Likes

He might have pointed out that their last head of state was 96.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.