President Obama's plan to take us to Mars

Idiocracy suspiciously seems very close to this.

1 Like

Idiocracy but with more eugenics.

1 Like

Because Mars ain’t no kind of place to raise a kid. In fact, it’s cold as hell.

8 Likes

I always figured he was in league with the Plutarkians.

1 Like

As long as we define “needs” so that it covers the basics (i.e. the REAL basics: food, water, housing, education, internet, basic income, hopefully I haven’t forgotten something), and doesn’t keep expanding to meet supply, then I agree. However, I don’t think it America’s job to provide for the rest of the world, at least not alone, which I say as a non-American.

Agreed.

If we’re going to fix anything, it has to be together. The nation-state is fast becoming an outmoded concept and working together will get us to not only a better standard of living, but give us a better chance at a project like mars colonization. We can have both, but at this point, we’re still a bunch of infants squabbling over the basics until we get that shit worked out, I don’t think a real space program is possible, not on the scale required for sending people to live elsewhere.

6 Likes

I mean we don’t currently have a proven, feasible means of protecting astronauts from the load of solar energetic particle and cosmic ray exposure they’d get from a trip to Mars.

3 Likes

The corpses flying through space will be of a lot more interest to aliens than the Voyager disks. On the other hand, the corpses won’t be bringing any more Chuck Berry with them and there might be an incident.

3 Likes

yes we do, two technologies exist that would easily accomplish the task, one is called ‘metal’, another ‘water’.

If we need to guarantee that every human launched to Mars will have a 100.00 percent chance of returning safely, it’s a way to ensure that we never, ever, ever go.

I did say “feasible” - the amounts of those things required for effective shielding aren’t, apparently. NASA certainly doesn’t consider the issue solved, which is why they have issued “challenges” for proposals for shields. (None of the winning solutions so far were “metal” or “water,” by the way, and none of them were sufficient, either.)

1 Like

Bad news if you were planning a winter vacation to Mars: new research has shown that the 225m km trip to the Red Planet won’t just give you bad jet lag – it’ll probably fry your brain. The study, published in Scientific Reports, has found that the levels of cosmic radiation travellers to Mars would be exposed to could lead to brain damage, anxiety and chronic dementia.

Y’know, I saw The Martian and I didn’t perceive Matt Damon’s character as having brain damage or dementia.

2 Likes
1 Like

2 Likes

I kinda forgot how many movies about Mars there have been over the years. Lots!

Easy to say you’d be happy to live out your days on another planet hostile to human life until you’re faced with the reality.

The truth is that no human being has ever spent more than two consecutive years in Antarctica, and that place is a tropical paradise compared to Mars. It even comes with free air and readily available water!

It seems irresponsible to send anyone on a one-way trip when we still don’t understand the challenges they’ll face. We don’t know how to keep people mentally OR physically healthy in that kind of setting for years at a time.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.