“Pretty Maids All in a Row”: Roger Vadim’s outrageous early 70s sex-and-murder black comedy

[Read the post]

1 Like

i find the lack of bras… intriguing.

2 Likes

I watched this years ago under the mistaken impression that it was closely related to the Eagles song of the same name.

2 Likes

softcore semi-misogynistic erotica of the original story — about a high school guidance counselor and football coach who sleeps with a lot of his foxy female students and then murders some of them (the ones who fall in love with him, and ask him to leave his wife, and daughter)

Semi?

2 Likes

I recall BoingBoing having a reference to this movie not too long back…

But anyway:

The movie had a Playboy magazine pictorial tie-in.

April, 1971.

My first Playboy ever.

Memmmm orreeessss …

1 Like

Misogynistic, wrongheaded, and the acting is pretty unconvincing. It’s nice to know Roddenberry toned it down, but what was left is still kind of a mess. I first saw it ten years after reading the Playboy piece and was shocked at how shoddy it all was. All it really had going for it was the nudity.

1 Like

On the heels of losing Glen Frey, I’m reminded of one of the better Eagles tracks

1 Like

Well, to be fair, nudity is worth watching. But not if I have to listen to the Osmond Brothers.

1 Like

To misquote Tom Servo, “say, do you think some science fiction creators have issues with women?”

1 Like

…and Angie Dickinson in full cougar mode. But mostly just the nudity.

If they reissue it, they can replace the Osmonds with the perfect song for this movie: The Sex Pistols (nudge nudge!) doing “Pretty Vacant.”

If that’s too expensive, go with Los Punkrockers. They really twist it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.